• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How Many Classes Have You Tried?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Human fighter (acolyte background and magic initiate feat [guidance, light, protec from evil]) my current AL CoS PC.

As of tonight, scratch this one lol.

Remember that scene in Aliens, when the queen gets ahold of Bishop? Yeah, pretty much that, but with a shambling mound. Critical hits suck when they're against you, and double suck when you go to 0 hp from the first attack, so the second critical attack pretty much does you in instantly.

Alas, such is the risk of an adventurer lol.

Morinth

First Post
As of tonight, scratch this one lol.

Remember that scene in Aliens, when the queen gets ahold of Bishop? Yeah, pretty much that, but with a shambling mound. Critical hits suck when they're against you, and double suck when you go to 0 hp from the first attack, so the second critical attack pretty much does you in instantly.

Alas, such is the risk of an adventurer lol.

Wow. That's harsh. Sounds like you might need to have a notepad of character sheets, so you can just peel it off and start a new one when your GM kills you.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State

In other news: 5e D&D Combats Too Easy? Details at 11.

Clearly this character was not optimized for "not dying" - rookie mistake. :lol:

Sacrosanct

Legend
Wow. That's harsh. Sounds like you might need to have a notepad of character sheets, so you can just peel it off and start a new one when your GM kills you.

To be fair, the GM didn't kill me. He was running an AL official adventure, and the monster that was there killed me. It's not like the GM goes around trying to kill PCs. The GM is first and foremost a referee (that's what they were called before DM came about in fact), not someone is "has a side' or is against the PCs per se. If anyone is to blame (and I don't think there is, because these things happen in games), it would be the person who designed a shambling mound in a place where 2nd level PCs are adventuring. But again, I don't think there's blame here, as monsters making sense to be at an area regardless of PC level is much more appealing to me than a world where the monsters are all tailored to fit the PCs level no matter what the PCs do or where they go.

Last edited:

To be fair, the GM didn't kill me. He was running an AL official adventure, and the monster that was there killed me. It's not like the GM goes around trying to kill PCs. The GM is first and foremost a referee (that's what they were called before DM came about in fact), not someone is "has a side' or is against the PCs per se. If anyone is to blame (and I don't think there is, because these things happen in games), it would be the person who designed a shambling mound in a place where 2nd level PCs are adventuring. But again, I don't think there's blame here, as monsters making sense to be at an area regardless of PC level is much more appealing to me than a world where the monsters are all tailored to fit the PCs level no matter what the PCs do or where they go.

Hey, shambling mounds happen. How was it encountered? Were there any signs or clues to the existence of the creature or was it just behind a door waiting to pounce on anyone walking in?

While I agree that not everything needs to be level appropriate, I think that large alpha predator creatures in a normal environment that have been there for some time will have left some clues to their presence.

flametitan

Explorer

If it's an AL adventure, there's at least options to not stay dead if you don't want to. But then again, you might not want to make a deal with the dark powers.

As for myself, I've played three, but none of them for longer than three sessions:

A bard (Who would've gone lore)
An Evocation Dwarf Wizard
A Goliath fighter (Who was about to become a champion fighter, but then scheduling conflicts prevented me from continuing his adventure)

Sacrosanct

Legend
Hey, shambling mounds happen. How was it encountered? Were there any signs or clues to the existence of the creature or was it just behind a door waiting to pounce on anyone walking in?

While I agree that not everything needs to be level appropriate, I think that large alpha predator creatures in a normal environment that have been there for some time will have left some clues to their presence.

It was in a giant pile of garbage in the basement of a haunted mansion. The ranger saw the pile moving, so he stabbed it. Oops.

If it's an AL adventure, there's at least options to not stay dead if you don't want to. But then again, you might not want to make a deal with the dark powers.

Oh, I know. two of our PCs had made such deals. But my fighter was an acolyte who considered himself a holy warrior (even if not technically a paladin). There was no way he would ever make a deal with something of unholy origins.

Such is life. Sometimes PCs die for good. Part of the game.

Rhogar_Rarr

First Post
Fortunately, I've had the chance to play quite a bit. Obviously, I've only played a couple of random encounters with a lot of these characters, but I like to branch out and test different play-styles. I am lacking experience personally playing a pure fighter, druid, or ranger. Though I do have some experience as a Land Druid before that particular character had a makeover (and a rebuild).

Level 10:
Human Battlemaster Fighter/Swashbulker Rogue (Alert)

Level 8:
Human Thief Rogue (Healer)
Dragonborn Totem Barbarian

Level 6:
Dragonborn Devotion Paladin

Level 5:
Dragonborn Fighter/Dragon Sorcerer
Half-Elf Trickery Cleric

Level 4:
Human Diviner Wizard (Lucky)

Level 3:
Human Lore Bard (Inspiring Leader)
Elf-Drow Sun Soul Monk
Tiefling Wild Sorcerer/Fiend Warlock

Level 2:
Human Rogue/Knowledge Cleric (Skilled)

S

Sunseeker

Monk: 4 elements (wooo! cool theme, bad mechanics!)
Ranger: whatever the not-beastmaster one is.
Fighter: Champion (yay simplicity!), Battlemaster (Woo not-spells!), Eldritch Knight (woo spells!)
Rogue: Thief (woo! Simplicity!), Arcane Trickster (It's like an Eldritch Knight, but sneaky!)
Barbarian: RAAAAGHHHH!!!! HULK SMASH!!!
Paladin: Devotion(save the kittens!), Vengeance(destroy all who would harm kittens!!!)

At least as a player. As a DM I have played most of the classes but not in any real depth.

Remove ads