• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Many Monster Books Do You Own?

How Many Monster Books Do You Own

• 1 book

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • 2-3 books

Votes: 41 20.3%
  • 4-6 books

Votes: 54 26.7%
  • 7-10 books

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • 11-15 books

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • 16-20 books

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • 20+ books

Votes: 27 13.4%

Phineas Crow

First Post
I'm a big fan of the ol' monster books, can't seem to have enough. I needdsss them... So here is a poll.

[edited in]

Here is my official tally: 27 Monster Books

Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary, Minions: Fearsome Foes, Liber Bestarius, Legends & Lairs: Monster’s Handbook, Legends & Lairs: Draconic Lore, Legends & Lairs: Necromantic Lore, Legends & Lairs: Twisted Lore, Legends & Lairs: Giant Lore, Monsters of the Endless Dark, Monsters of the Boundless Blue, Legions of Hell, Armies of the Abyss, Monsters of the Mind, Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene, Nightmares & Dreams, Nightmares & Dreams II, Tome of Horrors, Tome of Horrors II, Monsternomicon, Creature Collection, Creature Collection II, Creature Collection III, Ravenloft: Denizens of Darkness, Monster Manual, Monster Manual II, Fiend Folio, Monsters of Faerun

Last edited:

Turanil

First Post
I have only two books in that I have Monster Manual 1 (3.0) and Creature Collection 1 (by Sword and Sorcery Studio). I have also a bunch of cretures in other supplements such as Oriental Adventures, Books of Vile Darkness, Manual of the Plane, etc., which all in all make up for another book. Then, I have a great PDF that you can get for free here: The Book of Beast vol.4 by Bob Hall.

As far as i am concerned, I don't like to have too many monsters, as in the end, it doesn't make sense anymore to have so many sorts of different creatures (unless clearly giving some kind of pseudo-scientifical explanation, such as magical radiations everywhere, tend over time to alter creatures' DNA and introduce new races of creatures all the time). Furthermore, I like my campaign to have a European Medieval or Tolkien feel, thus many freaks do not have their place there (such as Mimics, Ropers, and what-nots).

Wombat

First Post
MM 3.0
Creature Collection
Creature Collection II

That is all. Actually, that feels like at least 1 too many for my needs. Most of the opponents that my players deal with are NPCs.

ForceUser

Explorer
I own about seven monster books, but only tend to use two or three. A lot of the d20 stuff (S&SS products, etc.) really suck. Wish I hadn't bought them.

Vymair

First Post
In general, I don't get much use out of my extra monster books. They are nice for the occassional "Hey what the hell is that?" when I pull something from an unusual source, but since I have very experienced players and other DMs in my gaming group they general recognize the vast majority of the monsters.

MM 3.5, Fiend Folio, Monster Manual II, The Book of Fiends.

Other Books with Monsters that I didn't count - Savage Species, Manual of the Planes, Dragonomicon

drothgery

First Post
MM 3.0, MM 3.5, and the FR monster book (for a while I was picking up every 3e FR rulebook, despite never playing in or DMing an FR game).

But I use NPCs for enemies far more often than not when I DM, and I don't DM all that often (except for my online d20 WoT game).

Thanee

First Post
MM 3.0 and MM 3.5 here. Don't really need anything else.

I have access (via a friend) to Monsters of Faerûn and MM2.

Of course, this is only counting D20 stuff. :)

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads