How many people do you know who haven't switched to 5e, and why haven't they?

Salamandyr

Adventurer
Of the gamers I know who don't play 5e, one is a rep for Castles & Crusades, and the others prefer Pathfinder. I personally am ambivalent about 5e. I know it is just about perfect for the D&D I like to run, but I dislike the art and layout of the books so much that using them is an unpleasant experience, I yearn to get everyone to join me back in OSR-land.*

*(currently running 5e, just avoiding using the books more than necessary).

WitchyD

Explorer
It may sound good, but lots of things sound good. Someone handing me a million dollars, no strings attached, sounds good, but that's terribly unlikely.

How many games in the history of man actually have such quality? Go? Chess? Mancala? A few card games? They work with *extremely* limited play choices. RPGs have very broad play choices.

So, I think the implied question is: complex *and* streamlined - is this a reasonable expectation?

IMO, the word being sought for is "depth." While 5e is my preferred system, I too think some depth was lost in the process to make it more streamlined. Some of the optional rules in the DMG are cool are cool and put some back in without much added complexity, but that's a different matter.

I am considering switching away from 5e and towards 4e, though, for some of that tactical combat play that 5e lacks.

Last edited:

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
The people with whom I play 4E like highly tactical fights and the streamlined nature of this system.

Not to derail the thread - but I've never played 4e, only watched my friends playa couple sessions before they went to PF. The one common comment made about 4e as people went up on level was the extremely long combat times due to the various daily powers and tactical nature of the fights with numerous comments saying 6 hours for some fights. When you mention streamline in 4e, what are you referring to and you or others can PM if you'd like and I'd appreciate it either way.

I play in 2 groups, Dm one and play in the other. one group got burned out on the groups perceived bloat of PF and tried 5e and love it. The other plays whatever strike their fancy. We played DCC, AD&D, Labrynth lord and had a blast playing all of them so it's basically whatever the dm feels like, we just go with it. Sommeof those players play in another group that plays 5e online so since they play it in that group, they want to play something else in ours. The roleplaying in all has been great, no matter the rules systems.

Demorgus

Explorer
My group is still playing 4th Edition mainly because my players are happy with the system. I'm sure when all the browsers stop supporting api like Silverlight, we'll make the leap to 5th Edition. They're open to this, though the thought of learning a new edition is a little daunting for some of the players.

By the way the current campaign I'm running has been going strong for almost 2 1/2 years.

mflayermonk

First Post
From what I see online, as well as my own experience, 5e seems to appeal most to:
1) Those who liked AD&D/pre-3e D&D
2) Those who are fans of D&D in general

The ones who seem most resistant to even giving 5e a chance seem to fall into a few categories:
1) Those who hate WotC and won't look at anything with their logo on it
2) Those who have found their edition already, and aren't really interested in anything new
3) Those who don't want to buy new books

What have your experiences been?

I know 2 people that just hate WoTC. These are two people that played an incredible amount of WoTC games in the past.

Another 3 people I know just like the large amount of options in Pathfinder.

Personally, I don't feel 5e does enough to make it worth playing more than previous editions (of books I already own). As a side note, most 1e and 2e books sell for prices that they sold for at release.
I made a comment a few months ago on how I started playing 5e and then quit after I played 13th Age's Eyes of the Stone Thief. Stone Thief just felt so fresh and filled with the excitement of the new.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...k-Peek/page7&p=6698541&viewfull=1#post6698541

Tony Vargas

Legend
I played 13th Age's Eyes of the Stone Thief. Stone Thief just felt so fresh and filled with the excitement of the new.
I was impressed by Eyes o/t Stone Thief too, though I liked the way it, and the general 'living dungeon' concept, lampshaded some of the D&D-style-Dungeon's tropes.

ccs

41st lv DM
In the circles I game with, all but 5 people play 5e.
(5e is not the ONLY game these groups/people play. Just because 5e was added to the menu doesn't mean we dropped anything....)

Player 1: Would play 5e, just doesn't have the time. And the 1e game he's already in isn't likely to wrap up any time soon.
Player 2: Has declined to play 5e based upon # of options. He's addicted to the endless variety of PF/3x.
Player 3: Like #1, lacks time for another game. But more importantly lacks any interest in even trying a different system than 1e/2e.
Player 4: Refuses to play any D&D but 4e. Good thing he likes other types of games....
Player 5: Stated reason for not playing 5e is "Because you can play a Dragonborn & a Tiefling".

I like 4E very much. When I DM I like to play this edition. For me it is the edition which I will favor over all of them. But I really would have liked 5E to be an improvement over 4E concepts (which in the first playtest material wasn't that far off). As it got clearer that it would be more of an improved AD&D/3.x I was happy that it had become an usable and quite simple system. But it wasn't for me. So I stick to my one true love and keep on recruiting newbies into the hobby through 4E. I would really like to try out 5E for myself as a player one day, maybe for a handful of sessions.

Dioltach

Legend
My group only switched from 2E to 3.5E a year or so back. We're having fun with it, no need to change again, with all the expense and hassle involved.

TheFindus

First Post
Not to derail the thread - but I've never played 4e, only watched my friends playa couple sessions before they went to PF. The one common comment made about 4e as people went up on level was the extremely long combat times due to the various daily powers and tactical nature of the fights with numerous comments saying 6 hours for some fights. When you mention streamline in 4e, what are you referring to and you or others can PM if you'd like and I'd appreciate it either way.
In my experience, 4E combats can last 2 hours or so. I would guess a lot of them last 90 minutes, depending on the setup. I have never played a combat that lasted 6 hours, so I cannot say anything about it. There are 6 PCs in the group I play with. When we played with only 4 PCs combats did not last that long, I would guess 60 minutes maybe?
What the 4E group really likes is the fact that there are dailies and powers that let you do extraordinary things to begin with (meaning at level 1). Our combats tend to be precisely about where one PC or enemy stands, if PC 1 is close enough to PC 2 to take full advantage of powers etc. And this is combined with roleplaying combats, too. So, for instance if the Psion is standing too far away from the Paladin, that player will be reminded on a roleplaying level and the tactical discussion is conducted on a roleplaying level as well. At least most of the time.

Regarding the streamlined nature of the system:
As a DM you know what to do and the system takes you by the hand. There are tables with numbers from which you can easily build encounters, make your own monsters or construct a skill challenge. The system is streamlined enough that you can, for example, easily refluff an existing level 17 opponent into something with an entirely different flair, because the mechanics are sound.
As a player, all PCs have the same setup. The roles make it easy to understand what your character should and will be able to do. The math is pretty clear while the powers, magic items, you name it, can be refluffed quite easily. The chassis of at-will, encounter and daily powers are good as every class can enjoy them. The players also love the magic item list that will provide their PCs with useful items they can count on. As a player I have always disliked the fact that in the 80s my fighter had to switch from broadsword to axe just because the "module" provided an axe +2 but not a flaming broadsword +1 (which I would have liked much better because flames on a sword are much cooler). We are glad these days are over.

Remove ads