How many people do you know who haven't switched to 5e, and why haven't they?

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
If you could all agree where a game 'needs' to be each of those things. ;)

Well for me, that's easy where things don't require much thought, streamlined being the core mechanic remaining the core mechanic most of the time (e.g., no sub-system for grappling), and complex where you need to put more thought into it than "I hit target X" or "I cast such and such spell at target Y".

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well for me, that's easy where things don't require much thought, streamlined being the core mechanic remaining the core mechanic most of the time (e.g., no sub-system for grappling)
All modern versions of D&D and d20 games in general would seem to qualify, there, in the most basic sense of d20 + mods vs DC.

and complex where you need to put more thought into it than "I hit target X" or "I cast such and such spell at target Y".
Those two have been more or less complex and more or less complex relative to eachother, at various times.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I only know people playing Pathfinder and 3.x when it comes to D&D, and a smattering of other games like Shadowrun, WoD, Eclipse Phase, etc. Nobody I know dislikes 5e (a very different situation from 4e), and they'd happily play it, but it isn't anyone's first or favorite option. Most folks are happy with PF as a system and the options that they have for character customization, plus the adventure and AP options alongside the very in-depth setting material keeps it incredibly fresh IMO.

Outside of store-hosted AL stuff, I don't know anyone locally playing 5e.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
I don't know anyone in my circle of DnD acquaintances that hasn't converted wholly. We were playing Fate/Numenera, and anything else we could get our hands on to avoid Pathfinder and 4e. They just took too much work, honestly, and we were lazy.

DM Howard

Explorer
My group is still solidly in Pathfinder land. I think our brand loyalty to D&D could easily see us switch if WotC actually put some stuff out that isn't an adventure.

I haven't.

From the player's side I've tried it with multiple DMs and found that the fun parts of the game were all ones where the rules were involved as little as possible. The DMs were pretty decent but the system was adding nothing to it other than staying a bit out of the way. The combat was a slog - and one where tactics weren't terribly important. The skill rules were largely DM fiat.

From the DM's side I can't think of a single reason to try running it again other than a very insular group. If I want to run tight dungeon crawls I'm breaking out the old Rules Cyclopaedia. If I want to run high action cinematic D&D I'm breaking out 4e. I find 5e to be a lukewarm compromise between these two. If I want to largely ignore the rules and get on with things I've got everything from Fate Accelarated onwards. If I want evocative and gritty characters I've Apocalypse World. I just can't picture anything that I would want 5e to do that I can't do better with a different game. Especially with the way recovery is tied to magic, making a low magic sword & sorcery game impractical.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
Tony, I obviously disagree with your assessment of D&D and d20 Modern. It's the subsystems that drive me away from D&D. It got me into tabletop RPGs, yes, but I've noticed what I don't like about it.

Saplatt

Explorer
Of the dozen or so regular players I know, only two haven't switched yet, and in both cases, it's because one isn't playing any version of D&D right now and the other is too busy to game at all.

Remove ads