How Many Players In Your Game, Then and Now

How many players, please read first post before voting!

• 2 or less

Votes: 10 6.5%

Votes: 20 13.1%

Votes: 26 17.0%

Votes: 42 27.5%

Votes: 27 17.6%

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • 8 or more

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • I did not play before 3e

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • 3e, 2 or less

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 3e, 3

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • 3e, 4

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • 3e, 5

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • 3e, 6

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • 3e, 7

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • 3e, 8

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I do not play 3e

Votes: 6 3.9%

sydbar

Explorer
The number is same for both since my current group, plays both 2nd, and 3rd, although mostly 2nd, since the person whose house we play at finds it hard to come up with a history for his characters, and doesn't like the 3rd ed skill system.

Hussar

Legend
I think the largest I was in was 13 in Basic D&D, with 12 in 3.5 last year. The group sizes have been pretty much 3-6 regardless of edition.

Woas

First Post
I was sort of confused at first. I did not play before 3e and I currently do not play 3e either (I play 3rd Edition Revised!). But then I figured the question of the poll was in the context that there was not a 3e Revised in the making.

So I voted 5 for that half of the poll. 5 is my magic number.
Just like in my most favoritest holiday movie Reindeer Games: Gotta have five... gotta have five.

jeffh

Adventurer
I've usually aimed at six, but I miss pretty regularly.

I went six for both, but if I were to average it out that's probably more like 5.75 for before and 6.5 after. That's more a matter of finding more and more people I wanted to play with than anything to do with either ruleset, though. I know that in recent years I've had long stretches of six or seven and even a brief stint with eight, but also had one of those groups running with as few as three players for a while earlier this year. Pre-3E, I think it was a pretty steady five to seven, but probably with a lot less time at seven overall.

Wombat

First Post
My OD&D group had roughly 6 players, but only 3-5 of them would show up at any given time.

My last D&D 3.Wombat game had 4 players, 5 occaissionaly.

Shade

Monster Junkie
4 has always been the baseline for my groups, but we've played with as few as 2 and as many as 5 from time to time.

sjmiller

Explorer
Prior to D&D 3e I was only playing in a GURPS group and we had 5 people total. When D&D 3e came out, I had a group of 5 again, 4 players and me. The last several years, still playing 3.0, I have a group of 9 players and myself, for a total of 10.

diaglo

Adventurer
i had 14 active players in my old campaign.

i ran a club in school with 2 other referees for 40 players

i've gamed as a player with from 4 to 11 others in the newer editions. avg of about 8. although hardly ever get more than 6 show.

Remove ads