• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many playtest groups do you know?

How many playtest groups do you know?

• Zero. I'm just like the author of this poll.

Votes: 178 89.9%
  • One! I'm a lucky ducky. I might be a playtester myself.

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • A handful: Less than ten, more than one. Well connected.

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Many: I might work for Wizards, I might be a muckity-muck in the RPGA.

Votes: 8 4.0%

Lackhand

First Post
I know that playtesters can't identify themselves without breaking NDAs. I'm not asking them to.

Have your friends become more furtive? Do they obsessively watch the mail, waiting for a package which they never show you?
Do they say things, minor slips of the tongue, that later show up in a Design & Development column? Do they play a lot more D&D than they used to, but refuse to tell you about their characters?

Are their names PirateCat?
Well, that one might not be as useful. He's only a playtester in the conspiracy-theory version of this post :)

How many playtest (groups) do you know? That is to say, of your friends who are in D&D groups, how many of those groups do you suspect to be ushering in the newest edition of our favorite pastime?
Don't count people you only know of, as in, "I heard Jimmy's playtesting 4th edition". This is because whoever you heard it from will also vote, and that's confusing. But if you're both close friends with Jimmy, and you both vote, I'm more pleased.

While this isn't a great way of telling how many playtesters are out there, this does tell us how connected EnWorld is to the playtest continuum, in Order-Of-Magnitude terms.

Last edited:

Lackhand

First Post
Right -- I'm not sure how valid any results from this poll are anyway.

It was inspired by a poster in another thread who said something about a hint his friend gave him... and I wondered how many people out there were connected.

Aah, idle curiosity :)

Happy turkey day, to those that celebrate!

The Little Raven

First Post
My friend's group is playtesting, which I discovered when I grabbed his backpack for him and some 4e materials fell out. I resisted the urge to take them and just shoved then back into his bag and handed to him, then gave him the finger for not telling me (or inviting me).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
With just over 150 total votes in, this wins the prize for being the most lopsided poll I've seen in ENWorld....in case it ever matters. :)

Lanefan

LightPhoenix

First Post
Mourn said:
My friend's group is playtesting, which I discovered when I grabbed his backpack for him and some 4e materials fell out. I resisted the urge to take them and just shoved then back into his bag and handed to him, then gave him the finger for not telling me (or inviting me).

At least he's honest, he didn't break his NDA.

Lackhand

First Post
It's that kind of serendipity this poll relies on.

I feel like maybe I should have made more ways of voting "0" -- I don't know anyone! I don't think that I know anyone! I know that I don't know anyone! I think that I know that I don't know anyone! Never go against a Sicillian when death is on the line!

And so on.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Nah, I think only having one option illustrates the point aptly. Two-hundred posters on ENW is probably a biased sample, but if it's representative either playtesters are being very strict about keeping to their NDAs, or there aren't that many playtesters. I think the 7 that voted as WotC-employees or higher-ups in the RPGA should be discounted for figuring that as well, since it's expected that they would know someone.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads