• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much bonus XP for player logs?

shilsen

Adventurer
Since I run the game and am the guy writing the story hour, I simply settle for marvelling at the magnitude of my awesomeness, both as writer and DM. In a wonderfully humble and self-effacing way, of course.

DwarvenDog

Explorer
In my monthly campaign, I've given out XP equal to what they would be awarded for an encounter of their level. So that makes journal writing just one more "encounter." that I account for in writing adventures.

I modified that somewhat for my new Age-of-Worms campaign. Since we are using "action points," I am awarding a single action point between sessions for a written journal. But, if a character falls behind in levels, that player can spend unused action points to gain an appropriate CR's worth of XP. So journal can become XP but only if you are falling behind.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
DwarvenDog said:
In my monthly campaign, I've given out XP equal to what they would be awarded for an encounter of their level. So that makes journal writing just one more "encounter." that I account for in writing adventures.

I modified that somewhat for my new Age-of-Worms campaign. Since we are using "action points," I am awarding a single action point between sessions for a written journal. But, if a character falls behind in levels, that player can spend unused action points to gain an appropriate CR's worth of XP. So journal can become XP but only if you are falling behind.
I think this is a good idea. I have offered 50 XP per level in previous games, but the Action Point awards seem to work a little better.

--Steve

Menexenus

First Post
I've read a lot of posters saying that it "should" be a reward in itself. Therefore, no XP should be given. This is hogwash.

If it were a reward in itself, then the players would already be doing it. If players are not doing something that you'd like to encourage them to do, offering XP for it is the obvious way to accomplish your goal.

This is one of the main problems with D&D - there is no incentive to roleplay in this "roleplaying game" other than to find out where the next monster is, so that you can kill it and gain XP for it. This is one of the many reasons why good roleplaying has become an endangered species in 3.x - because there's no reward for it!

Saying that some things are "rewards in themselves" is bull-hockey. If you want to encourage behavior in a game, then there ought to be a mechnanism within the game for encouraging players to do it. (And if the game does not provide such a mechanism - as 3.x D&D does not - then it is incumbent on the DM to create such a mechanism.

To answer the OPs question, I grant bonuses to players after every game session for all the things I want to encourage as a DM (cooperation, roleplaying, advancing or contributing to the storyline, etc.). These bonuses are ad hoc, and not every character gets one each time. To avoid claims of DM favoritism, I have the players themselves vote to determine who gets the awards. After the votes are in, I determine the amount of the award.

My awards range between 25 x character level (minor award) to 100 x character level (extraordinary contribution).

If they offer me bribes, I can offer them rewards. XP is based upon effort and content so it varies. Yes, I take bribes, my enjoyment is as much a concern as theirs. ;)

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
In my last campaign, I gave a 10% XP bonus for anything that improved the game or ehanced everyone's fun: character illustrations, journals, bringing piping hot pizza, delivering beer and smokes to the DM (believe me -- this *did* improve everyone's fun). While it isn't strictly something that makes sense -- OoG player behavior really probably shouldn't have any impact on in-game stuff like XP -- I found that it promoted a greater interest in the game and fostered the relationship between players. this was especially inmportant as the group was totally new -- no one had played together or even met before, except for two players that joined later, and anything that promotes good group relations is worth the effort.

wayne62682

First Post
When my group used to do it, it was 150-200 per session's log, bonus if it was a very good story or used a unique mechanic.. I got I believe 300 once because my log was made up of narrative story and a letter to my character's patron explaining the situation (I had been sent to investigate which is how I met up with the others).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads