How much do you want dungeon crawls?

In 10 game sessions, how many would you like to spend actually in a dungeon?

• 10 – 100%, every game session, never leave the dungeon

Votes: 4 2.0%

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 8 – 80%, very often in a dungeon

Votes: 38 18.5%

Votes: 19 9.3%

Votes: 23 11.2%
  • 5 – 50%, half the total game sessions

Votes: 43 21.0%

Votes: 23 11.2%

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • 2 – 20%, only very occasionally in a dungeon

Votes: 25 12.2%

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • 0 – 0%, not a single game session, never enter a dungeon

Votes: 2 1.0%

Mycanid

First Post
I also agree with the quote from Dykstrav, but I like just a little more above ground activity now and then. :) I voted 7 out of 10.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I went with 8 after thinking about it. I enjoy the nature of dungeons and the way they put the party into a situation they have to work together to overcome.

60-80%.

Remaining time is spent (1) in cities/towns researching dungeons, (2) in the wilderness travelling to/from dungeons, and (3) in villages resting up and shopping after forays to the dungeon.

Wombat

First Post
In ten sessions?

Twice, maximum.

Dungeons are fine for now and again, but not for a steady diet. They are very limiting.

Khayman

First Post
Dungeons suck! It's way easier to watch my players shoot themselves in the collective foot when they're in the city.

...unless that just makes a city a big dungeon. Meh. Details, details.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I agree pretty much with Dykstrav as well. Political intrigue or inner-city adventures can be fun for some, but I often find I run out of patience and-or miss the key element that makes everything make sense.

In a dungeon as described, it's nice and simple...just keep bashing away until there's nothing left to bash (and then hope you've bashed the right things).

I voted 8 of 10; the other 2 would be treasury, training, side trips, etc.

Lanefan

Dykstrav

Adventurer
When I voted 80%, I did it with a very broad understanding of what a dungeon can be.

In my opinion, a dungeon can be the crypts, mines, caverns and other underground warrens we all know and love to varying degrees.

But a dungeon can also be a forest with scattered ruins on the hilltops, where the evil druids and their minions lurk in the valleys. It can be the shipyards where the local gang of thieves disappeared after picking a character's pockets. It could be the mysterious island where the character's ship ran aground during the storm.

For my purposes, I consider a 'dungeon' to be a site-based adventure where the characters can essentially control the rate or order in which they take on encounters to some degree. The degree to which the dungeon is isolated isn't relevant I think, as long as there is a neat demarcation to where the dungeon begins and ends.

Remove ads