How much do you want dungeon crawls?

In 10 game sessions, how many would you like to spend actually in a dungeon?

• 10 – 100%, every game session, never leave the dungeon

Votes: 4 2.0%

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 8 – 80%, very often in a dungeon

Votes: 38 18.5%

Votes: 19 9.3%

Votes: 23 11.2%
  • 5 – 50%, half the total game sessions

Votes: 43 21.0%

Votes: 23 11.2%

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • 2 – 20%, only very occasionally in a dungeon

Votes: 25 12.2%

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • 0 – 0%, not a single game session, never enter a dungeon

Votes: 2 1.0%

Raloc

First Post
Mallus said:
I voted "3"... though that's probably being over-generous to the 'ole dungeon meme.

Dungeons don't have enough things to talk to in them, and if they do --say like the Temple of Elemental Evil-- then they're really more like (ridiculous) cities.

Mining loot out of a hole in the ground infested with improbable local fauna just doesn't do it for me.
This is about where I voted, although as a player I'd have to say it depends on the dungeon. As a DM though, the above is my view (dungeons there are, but they aren't the main game and they're always there for a reason).

VirgilCaine

First Post
If I could play through a classic 1e dungeon scenario (in 3e), I'd jump on it. I want to see how it works as a player.

I want to do White Plume Mountain or the Ghost Tower of Inverness or something like that.
A combination of traps, puzzles, physical obstacles and combat--in odd shaped rooms.

Not Diablo-esque corridors and rooms. I've played Diablo 1 and 2.

I will be running both scenarios for my D&D group very soon...but playing through something like that? :(

Odhanan

Adventurer
While playing D&D (as opposed to other tabletop RPGs) I assume? Above 50%. For me dungeon crawl means an actual exploration of a site, as in "site-based adventure". This says nothing of the actual contents/events occurring while exploring the site (combat, search, character interaction, diplomacy, puzzles, whatever). The rest is spent investigating stuff around, getting to know the NPCs around the dungeon, having the character have a life, selling/buying loot, that kind of stuff.

Hussar

Legend
Heh, 72 sessions into the World's Largest Dungeon. I voted 100%.

OTOH, in a regular campaign, it would likely be around 50-70. I likes me sewers and other site based adventures, even in a city, so, yeah, I like dungeons.

Dragons? Not so much. :p

the Jester

Legend
VirgilCaine said:
If I could play through a classic 1e dungeon scenario (in 3e), I'd jump on it. I want to see how it works as a player.

I want to do White Plume Mountain or the Ghost Tower of Inverness or something like that.
A combination of traps, puzzles, physical obstacles and combat--in odd shaped rooms.

I'm doing that right now, with the Ghost Tower; my pcs (6th-7th level) just slew the fire giant.

Details are (just starting) in my Year 272 Story Hour, if you'd care to check them out. in the story hour, the pcs have just begun checking out the air level.[/pimp]

diaglo

Adventurer
it is all a dungeon.

city is a dungeon
wilderness is a dungeon
caves are dungeons

conversation/roleplay takes place throughout

Remove ads