How much stuff do your players buy?

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Uhmmm...

Players buy RPG stuff?

This world you are describing has me reeling.

In my cyberpunk group, one player has a copy of the rules.

In my D&D group, no players own any of the books (well, technically Dex owns the books as much as I do).

In my Lacuna games, no one has the book.

In my Scion group... ditto.

So tell me about this "players buying RPG stuff" thing.

I can understand if you are playing a new system for the first time that the players might not own any books. In fact, I would expect that. You want to make sure that it is a good system before shelling out for the books. However, I don't understand how you can play an RPG for over a year and not even buy the PHB (unless there are some strong financial constraints). I think that is just rude to expect to mooch of other people like that.

Olaf the Stout

RFisher

Explorer
I think that is just rude to expect to mooch of other people like that.

<shrug>

I’m happy to share my books (or dice) with people who want to play a game with me. The whole reason I buy RPGs is to play them with other people. I can’t wrap my mind around seeing it as mooching.

<shrug>

I’m happy to share my books (or dice) with people who want to play a game with me. The whole reason I buy RPGs is to play them with other people. I can’t wrap my mind around seeing it as mooching.

I share my books and dice with my players too. I even recently gave a set of dice to a new player in our group since he didn't have any of his own. I don't like players to take my books home with them (I've had a couple come back damaged) but they're free to read and use them during sessions.

I can also understand players not wanting to buy any books for a game they haven't tried before (or if they are new to the hobby). However don't you think it is a little selfish to play in a D&D campaign for a year or two and still not even buy the PHB?

I think that is a bit selfish but obviously each to their own.

Olaf the Stout

Ginnel

Explorer
Current experience is the same as Shabes from page 1 as I am the aforementioned brother of his.

Previously before I moved to the same city as Shabe, the games we played in only had the core books that was it, because no one owned any others, the idea of every player owning a PHB is strange and bizarre to me, can people not right out spell/feat/skill descriptions?

I did buy the Star Wars D20, M&M, PHB and DMG for 3.5 as a thank you for DM's running games for me as well as speeding up character creation (I feel guilty as player if I just play in games and don't at least contribute something like figures/food/beer DMing something as I feel DMing is a time investment) as well as often bringing snacks and beer for others to drink (it also helped I was earning the most at that time though £12k a year isn't anywhere near rich ;))

The only exception to this core rules only was when we played Vampire a few times where some splats were available.

Nowadays where I'm earning even more than the heady heights of £12k a year I can indulge in buying whatever supplements I feel like.
As well as attitude, money earnt can obviously have an effect on how much you buy too.

kensanata

Explorer
Those that DM have lots of books. I have lots, another DM has even more, and a third DM has but the core three. As for players, most players have the PHB, most players have dice, some players have their own mini. When I allow particular splat books in the game, some players will buy them (eg. MIC). Some of us have big PDF collections but basically we just find pointers to interesting stuff online, then we look at the PDF whether we are in fact interested in it, and when something is going to be used at the gaming table, we buy the real books. I'm also a big fan of abebooks, alibris, amazon marketplace, and ebay. :)

RFisher

Explorer
However don't you think it is a little selfish to play in a D&D campaign for a year or two and still not even buy the PHB?

I suppose I can see your point, but I’ve never felt it to be selfish. I’ve never found myself thinking, “I sure wish (s)he’d buy a PHB.” Of all the ways selfishness can manifest itself on game night, I’m more than happy to tolerate this minor one.

I really have a hard time seeing it as any different than when I invite people over to play any other game. I don’t expect them to bring their own Monopoly houses, Kingmaker event cards, Trivial Pursuit wedges, or PS2 controllers. Even if we’re getting together on a regular basis to play those games for a year. I realize RPGs are quite different from those, but it just doesn’t feel that different in this regard.

Remove ads