How often do your players multiclass?

Al2O3

Explorer
I'm a player rather than DM most of the time, but in our group multiclassing is almost unheard of before 6th level. However, some classes tend to be branched out from there. Ranger 5 happens, but then it's more common to have Ranger 5/other class 1 than having Ranger 6.

Rogue also often ends up with multiclassing around there, and sometimes fighter too. Other classes often have something on level 6 or 7 that makes us think "just one or two levels more".

There are times where a concept results in one level of a class to start (commonly something like fighter for hit points and proficiencies) and then the rest of the levels in a second class.

In short, it depends on classes and levels we're playing at. Also somewhat story.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
We don't use the multiclassing option in my campaigns, generally. We'd make an exception for a compelling case, but it's never come up.

Out of 18 PCs at various tables who have advanced past level 6, only 2 have multi-classed. One was a wizard who dipped two levels of fighter in our Curse of Strahd campaign - mainly b/c the remainder of the party consisted of a Great Old One Warlock, Valor Bard, Assassin Rogue and the player felt they needed a little more melee power; partly b/c he wanted to be less squishy (although he never upgraded armor past leather... tough to find reasonably priced equipment in Barovia) and to enjoy action surge. The other, a player in our homebrew game cafe campaign, dipped one level of Hexblade after 8 levels of Swashbuckler - moar damage but was also very appropriate for his character arc.

In our current West Marches campaign where there are 15 characters between levels 2 and 4, none have chosen to MC yet.

mortwatcher

Explorer
Only seen it once, and it was me doing it, wanted to try the raging bear thing. Otherwise, we never get to any levels where you would consider multi-classing.

jmartkdr

First Post
I allow multiclassing, but people rarely take it.

When I play, though, I multiclass a lot, because I like playing gishes. I don't mind multiclassing for that - I mean, that's kind of the point, innit? mastering and blending two very different skillsets? - and before hexblades that pretty much limited you to paladins, who come with a lot of rp baggage.

Aside form that - it's not too popular. I'm surprised I don't see more of it at high levels, but it seems more people want high-level abilities more than they want to add a new aspect after a year of play.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
So far I have played 6 characters in 5e, as I usually DM. I have only multi-classed once, for a fighter/rogue so I could be a grappling monster. It was fun.

ccs

41st lv DM
Almost never.
Since we started playing 5e in the spring of '15 there's been 3 MC characters in our games.
And in our recent Desert of Desolation campaign I almost MC'd my barbarian into fighter - but then the story took a turn & that didn't workout prior to the ending.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Thinking back:

Campaign I ran for a year to 11th level: 1 character out of 5.
Campaign I played in for a year, to 13th level: 2 characters out of 4.
Campaign I'm playing in now: 0 people.
Campaign I'm running soon: 1st level, still too early to tell.
It's all over the map, really. Considering that I'm thinking about it in my campaign I'm playing in now, that would be 1. It's never a situation where everyone is multiclassing, because it's foolish not to, or anything like that. I think the thing that stops most people, is the ASI/Feat choices being tied to class level. Everyone who does multiclass, does so in blocks of 4, none of this "1 level from 5 different classes" silliness. :)

Remove ads