How often do your players multiclass?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I’m curious how often players end up multiclassing. I find in my games that it’s fairly rare. Then again in my games we typically stay below level 11.

how often do they multiclass in your games? How often does word believe people multiclass?

Out of about 15 characters, only 1 has multiclassed (monk/rogue).

There is also a bard that might take a level of wizard at higher levels for concept purposes (and I actually talked the player into that, because they wanted me to allow some custom bard content I wasn't comfortable with, and this solution is better.) And there is one character who is my custom Warrior-Mage class, because none of the multiclassing (or single class) combinations really let me represent my vision of an AD&D fighter/wizard.

So "hardly any" is the answer from my table, which suits me just fine. I really like that characters are sticking with class identity (classes have actual in-world identity in my setting) rather than trying to build their own class by multiclassing (which seemed really common in 3e).

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I don't allow multiclassing in all campaigns, but do for most of them. When multiclassing is an option in the campaign, I find less than half the players do it and it's usually (but not always) to try to achieve some concept they had in mind for the character.

In my Planescape campaign which just finished, only two players multiclassed - the paladin took a couple levels of warlock and the bard took a level in wild magic sorcerer. The former was taken for a bump to power by my understanding and the latter because the character is an insane dwarf clown and they were traveling through Limbo so it made sense and was fun.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Depends entirely on what concept they want to run.
And that can be influenced by what the level cap is, so indirectly dependent on that. For instance, one player once went with a Hexblade/Sorcerer over a Fighter because the level cap was 10, and they wanted to get 3 attacks.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Going back to my first days as a DM in the early 80s, I almost always see at last one. And when I’m a player, I’d say I multiclass @85% of my PCs- increasing ever since 3Ed unified how it worked for all races.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
I've ran one long (1 1/2 year) long campaign during 5E.

During that time the players advanced form 3rd to 17th level and 2 out of the 5 players multiclassed.

guachi

Hero
I've never seen it. My sample size isn't large but none of the players in my games have multi classed.

Last campaign had eight players who achieved levels of any consequence. None multiclassed but seven took feats at level four.

It seems to be rare for me. In my various gaming groups and campaigns since 5e’s release, there have only been really three or four multiclassed characters. That’s be roughly out of a total of twenty plus characters.

But the players that multiclass, always seem to multiclass.

cmad1977

Hero
Super rare. Once. Actually wasn’t ‘my’ player but a player at the same table. So... I’ve only seen a multi class character once and never at my table.

Remove ads