How often do your players multiclass?

Oofta

Legend
I'd say close to 1/3 of all PCs have been multi-classed based on home game and AL play. Personally I've multi-classed 50% (not that I have all that many since I DM more than I play).

I

Immortal Sun

I pretty much do it all the time now, but mostly because I want rogue skills and a high-int character but don't really want to play a rogue. So, I guess that's "dipping" not really multi-classing.

I'd saying maybe a quarter of my players do it.

Shiroiken

Legend
I'd say it's uncommon in our group, at least until higher levels. In an epic game that went to 18th level, 3 of the 7 PCs multi-classed after 11th level. Two of those were simple 1 level dips to fill out a weakness (but the players did a great job of RPing the addition). The other one was a planned setup where the Rogue went to 11th level, then switched to Champion Fighter.

In all the other games we've played, most of which ended at/near level 10, maybe 1 out of every 10 characters would multi-class. All of those were single level dips, usually at level 2 or 6 (I guess my group thinks those levels have the weakest benefit). I think the low level benefits for single class characters are strong enough to keep people from wanting to multi-class until higher level (where delaying a benefit for 1 level isn't as big a deal).

lluewhyn

Explorer
Not very common in my games as a PC or DM. That ASI every 4 levels tends to discourage it unless you're doing levels of 4, and since so many classes end up with significant features at 5th level, that ends up meaning at least 9th level before someone takes another level.

Seen a Fighter 1/Wizard 9
I've played a Paladin 4/Fey Warlock 4
We had a short-time player doing a Sorcerer/Warlock, but I don't remember him standing out very much.

5ekyu

Hero
Last game I ran, none of 5 multi.

Last game I played in, 3 of 9.

Current game is easy but none ofv5 expressed any MC thoughts after play begsn... one considered monk druid due to net threads but gave up that idea after thinking it thtu.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Current game: 3 of 5 are MCed.
Last game: 3 of 12 were MCed. (Lots of PC death in that game.)
Game before that: 1 of 5 were MCed.

So about a third (7 of 22).

Remove ads