How often do your players multiclass?

Strider1973

Explorer
In the campaign I'm running as a DM, out of three players, two have multiclassed: they started both at 1st level, a half orc barbarian and a dex based elf fighter. At 2nd level, the barbarian has taken a level as a paladin and the elf has taken a level as a cleric, war domain. The player of the elf is a great optimizer and a great min maxer, but he's also a very nice guy, who plays very well and very narratively at the table. The player of the barbarian is a great storyteller as a master, and has woven a great backstory for his character, that beautifully blends with the multiclassing choice. I'm very happy as a master with their multiclassing, because it adds good elements to the story, besides making their characters more powerful and interesting.

The half orc barbarian/paladin complains because using the RAW his character can't have the heavy armour proficiency, but that's it, since, at least for the moment, I'm sticking to the RAW.

In my other group, in which I'm a player, a player who plays a human dragon blood sorcerer at 7th level took a level as a bard, and I, too, played for a while with the idea of taking a level as a bard (I'm playing a high elf paladin oath of the ancient), but then I stuck to the paladin class.

Harzel

Adventurer
My group has 7 PCs and they have reached 6th level. Only one has multiclassed: the Wizard took one level of Cleric(Life) because he felt the party needed more healing and he wanted to be able to use a shield. (I'm not sure which was more important to him.)

In the few years I have been running 5e I have 6 players and 5 have had 4 characters each of which only one has multilclassed - Level 12 Arcance Trickster added some levels of Wizard.

One other (Rogue Assassin) is considering adding some levels of Monk.

The other player how ever has had 5 characters. Three times he has multiclassed the only long running character who isn't is an Eldritch Knight and the only other non Multiclassed was a Bard he role played out of the campaign.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I’m curious how often players end up multiclassing. I find in my games that it’s fairly rare. Then again in my games we typically stay below level 11.

how often do they multiclass in your games? How often does word believe people multiclass?

In the three 5e campaigns I've been in, no one has multiclassed yet. It's not something that's been dismissed by my group, several of us have talked about it, but just haven't.

Hmm iv played, give or take, 8 Campaigns all but my latest i played Barbarian.. My latest is a Ranger just cause i was late to the start and its what the party needed most so i took one for the team, but counting me theres 7 of us as players and our DM, out of the games iv played id say at least 3 or 4 of us multiclassed, granted we needed a back story on it (Which i never minded) but all in all for us id say give or take 45%, of it all with all of us together and counting each campaign, has multiclassed but we also tend to play for high levels as well with a normal start at lvl 5 so that we dont just get swarmed

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I pretty much do it all the time now, but mostly because I want rogue skills and a high-int character but don't really want to play a rogue. So, I guess that's "dipping" not really multi-classing.

I'd saying maybe a quarter of my players do it.

Do you think you'd still do it if your group used the Bonus Feat at Level 1 houserule that many groups use, and could thus take the Skilled feat? If your group is optimised, assume that direct combat feats aren't allowed at level 1.

I've been running a campaign for over 3 years. Three out of four players multi-classed. Of the three who multi-classed, two of them have some regrets. There are very powerful end game abilities they missed. After they see what a full class level 20 character is capable of they might get a little buyer's remorse.

Remove ads