How often do your players multiclass?

Not many in my campaigns I have played and DMed (not damned! ;) ).
Only 2 of 12 PCs I think, one of them really successfully (hexblade 5 / battlemaster 5, in ToA).

I'd like to MC as a player, although in 5e many PC features can be achieved by choosing the right:
- background
- archetype
- feat

I really love the possibilities that 5e offers without multiclassing.
A paladin with theives' tools and stealth? No problem at level 1!

I

Immortal Sun

Do you think you'd still do it if your group used the Bonus Feat at Level 1 houserule that many groups use, and could thus take the Skilled feat? If your group is optimised, assume that direct combat feats aren't allowed at level 1.

Hmmm, I dunno. I'd have to sit down and look at my sheet. I really like being a Face or a Skillmonkey, I just don't really like a lot of the classes associated with them. Honestly I usually play Humans anyway in 5E and even then I burn my first-level feat on getting a familiar because I like having one.

Of the roughly three dozen characters I've seen at our tables, I can only think of 1 that was multi-classed: a Fighter (Battlemaster)/Rogue (Swashbuckler).

akr71

Hero
Games I DM - none*, though my son is talking about it for his current character.
* that's a campaign of 5 characters to level 10, another of 3 PCs to level 16, another of 5 PCs who are currently level 5 and a forth of 3 PC currently level 3 (the one with my son)

The game I play in - 3 of 7 have multi-classed.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
I will say that for melee characters in particular, getting your second attack at level 5 means delaying that power bump to multiclass even by 1 or 2 levels is really noticeable.

The two players who multiclassed IMC were both around level 8-10 when they started thinking about it. One went Ranger/Cleric and then the other went Fighter/Paladin.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I will say that for melee characters in particular, getting your second attack at level 5 means delaying that power bump to multiclass even by 1 or 2 levels is really noticeable.

The two players who multiclassed IMC were both around level 8-10 when they started thinking about it. One went Ranger/Cleric and then the other went Fighter/Paladin.

Depends on what you're multiclassing into. IMO, the melee weapon cantrips replace the need for extra attack pretty well, at least well enough to make waiting a few levels longer not hurt that much.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Depends on what you're multiclassing into. IMO, the melee weapon cantrips replace the need for extra attack pretty well, at least well enough to make waiting a few levels longer not hurt that much.

I think It depends on if you are comparing to characters with damage feats or without them.

jasper

Rotten DM
Weekly. I have a Jr high schooler, a High schooler, and 3 college students who attend my sessions.
Lately 2 out 7 players will have a multiple class pc.

lluewhyn

Explorer
Here's a question: Do any of you think that you and/or or your players would multi-class more often if the ASI was treated the same way as a Proficiency Bonus? I.E., you'll get them at 4/8/12/etc. regardless of which classes you pick? (assume that Fighters are adjusted to just be given Bonus ASI at certain levels).

Remove ads