How Quickly is C&C Catching on?

Ry

Explorer
Akrasia said:
I am not sure what you are referring to here.

Well, it was more reading the reviews and things said by the authors. Namely, that they weren't looking to make a rules-light d20 - just a nice, clean new take on 1st ed / Rule Cyclopedia D&D, inspired by a few things from d20.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
... The ability score system of C&C is at it's core, and I don't like it. (No bonuses until 15... ew.) Plus I'm spoiled by feats... even if it's just core feats.

As Breakdaddy pointed out, bonuses start at 13. However, if the ability score progression of C&C annoys you, you can simply replace it with the 3E system (the game will remain balanced, so long as you use the 3E ability score modifiers across the board).

As for feats, you can add them to C&C (either in part or in whole), and in fact many C&C players have been doing this. More generally, C&C is designed to be modular -- you can add certain rules to the system without 'breaking it' (e.g. feats but not skills, or vice versa; more tactical combat; etc.).

(Of course, if you want to add everything that 3E has, then just play it, as C&C is not the game for you. ;) )

Akrasia

Procrastinator
rycanada said:
Well, it was more reading the reviews and things said by the authors. Namely, that they weren't looking to make a rules-light d20 - just a nice, clean new take on 1st ed / Rule Cyclopedia D&D, inspired by a few things from d20.

Okay, it is correct that C&C is not meant to be a 'rules light' version of d20. Nonetheless, it is a 'rules light' game, and I think that it can appeal to people who want a rules light game very similar to, and compatible with, d20 material.

More generally, the game is aimed at two (often overlapping) sets of players:

(a.) Rules light players (people who want a game that is fast to prep and play); and
(b.) 'Old school' players (people who want a game that 'feels' more like OD&D and/or OAD&D).

If you are only a member of (a.), it is still certainly worth looking at IMO.

Ry

Explorer
Darr... I wish I could get more info then before I purchased it (chances of it being stocked locally are slim). I'm a bit cost-averse at the moment (starting a new job tomorrow!) and I really want to know more about how spells and monsters work, and whether I'd be starting back at the beginning of the "DM needs to memorize the thousand spells allowed" un-fun game.

Are spell effects and monster special abilities just more uniform?

Mythmere1

First Post
Just because it's rules-lite doesn't mean it's beer and pretzels. It's a fantastic springboard for a full scale game, just with a simpler mechanism. To my mind, the simpler mechanism leaves more room for roleplaying.

Breakdaddy

First Post
rycanada said:
Darr... I wish I could get more info then before I purchased it (chances of it being stocked locally are slim). I'm a bit cost-averse at the moment (starting a new job tomorrow!) and I really want to know more about how spells and monsters work, and whether I'd be starting back at the beginning of the "DM needs to memorize the thousand spells allowed" un-fun game. Are spell effects and monster special abilities just more uniform?

I can really only answer your question on spells. The spell lists are a LOT slimmer than D&D 3.x but mainly consist of similar or the same spells. Where applicable, they have tried to make the spells more intuitive or, in some places, just more like old school AD&D/D&D.

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
Could you give me an example of a spell that is slimmer in C&C than in D&D, and how it works in-game? Because my players and I have a decent handle on the combat system of 3E, but none of us have a great handle (or like) complex spell descriptions, or complex spell results (i.e. roll 3d6 for how much damage you do, then the enemy is shaggered, which means they're staggered for 1 round and then shaken for 3, but not stirred. Now get some tea leaves and a goat's bladder, and a lightly toasted loaf of bread to determine the psionic aftereffect which is of benefit to the caster. See pages 10, 26, 192, 74, and 6 of the PHB).

jester47

First Post
Mythmere1 said:
Just because it's rules-lite doesn't mean it's beer and pretzels. It's a fantastic springboard for a full scale game, just with a simpler mechanism. To my mind, the simpler mechanism leaves more room for roleplaying.

By beer and pretzels I meant that you could show up, have a game and have it be done at the end of an evening. Its just a lot easier to use. It was not meant to say that the keep track of every detail game that takes 2 hours for a major combat is one choice whereas the "Hey lets play a game of D&D" is another. Both are rewarding in thier own right and both can be just as roleplay intensive. Both are full scale games, just one lends itself to spontaneous evenings of gaming.

Ry

Explorer
Looking for the last hour at reviews and forum posts over at RPG.net and here, and the lack of info on the magic system gives me a serious sinking feeling. I'm starting to think that C&C features a simplified D&D combat system, simpler classes, and no feats, but not a simplified spell / monster special ability system. Is this the case?

Lucias

First Post
I picked it up the other day and have been nothing but impressed. I was a playtester early in the process, but my group split up when I moved and we didn't see some of the later versions. The game came a long way from it's early days and, as I said, I'm impressed.

My favorite version of D&D has always been the Rules Cyclopedia, but I've always been a bit chafed by some of the restrictions imposed (such as races as classes). C&C takes everything I loved about RC and cut out all the fat.

This is D&D how I've always liked it...fast and loose with a lot to play around with. There's really no needed rule missing, but adding on extra rules would be a snap. You don't have to worry about messing the balance of the game up if you tinker a lot, something that can't be said for 3E.

Now some people aren't going to like the lack of defined skills and even a percieved lack of customization. It all comes down to personal preference. Old-school games relied a lot on imagination and DM interpretation which modern games have shifted the focus away from. C&C brings it back. For a lot of people I think it's going to be a love it or hate it situation.

Remove ads