• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Quickly is C&C Catching on?

Jackal42

First Post
Thanks for the binding information Davis, and sorry to everyone for passing out the wrong (at least I assume) information. But, my point still stands, the binding is the best I've seen in a rpg book in years. :)

cleaverthepit

First Post
No problem :)

To increase the sell of spare parts, a certain american car company institute a five year durability test for those parts. Meaning, their desire was for the part to cease functioning after five years. Toyota wanted a ten year durability. Hence, Toyota broke into a virtully closed market.

The PHB is made to last a long time. This does not mean you can't destroy it, you can but Steve gave a good deal of thought to durability.

Two things we can promise.

1: the basic rules will never change. there will be no 2.x or 3.x or 4.x. It will always be Castles & Crusades. We will fix a few things (javelin damage may have been too low), clarify a few things (I have a list somehwere but this results from unclear explanations or examples) but that is it.

2: the books will be made to last. I still have the very first 1e PHB, DMG and MM I bought. I can still use them though they are 20 years old (though they are a bit ragged).

Davis

Ry

Explorer
Treebore said:
3E being rules heavy makes it easier for good DM's to be good and harder for bad DM's to be bad DM's.

I passionately disagree with this statement. I've run some fantastic rules-light games, and I'm definitely a good DM. Since 3E, I've gamed more, but the system has never made it easier for me to be a good DM. Often it's made it harder, because your concentration isn't on things like pacing via watching the players' reactions and interest level. I've also played in some bad games, and 3E didn't do a thing to help them.

That's why I'm so interested in C&C, to see if there's something here to keep me playing D&D-style fantasy, but still run good games.

nsruf

First Post
Last year, I gave up on my mid-to-high level D&D 3.5 campaign because preparation took too long and dealt almost exclusively with NPC and monster stats instead of story development. Since then, I have been looking for a rules-lite fantasy game. Savage Worlds works for me, but my players don't like it very much. So I hope C&C will appeal to them, as it is closer to the d20 D&D they know. I'm a little afraid they will complain about the lack of options, though.

Anyway, I'm eagerly awaiting my copy of the PHB...

Ry

Explorer
jmucchiello said:
What does this mean? C&C is a game based on the d20 rules. It is not, however, licensed under the d20 logo. What part of being a d20 game would have preferred?

Well, as I said above, if C&C had been a d20 game, it would have been a rules-lite d20. This is what I"m looking for. Also, if it had kept certain things from d20 (like the attribute rolls, only 3 saves, not using the somewhat strange 12/18 rule) then it would eliminate certain barriers to entry on the part of new players. That would have probably pushed the game over the line from "not buy" to "buy."

I _know_ I can house-rule these things. But even if I just change the saves back, that means I'd have to choose saves for every spell and magic item, rather than using the ones that are detailed from the book. I'd like to have something designed to be rules-light d20 right from the beginning, without having to re-write so many specifics.

Ry

Explorer
Jackal42 said:
So post a 3e spell you want to see the C&C version of and, as promised, I'll help you with your questions. ;)

How about Righteous Might? Straight from the 3.5 SRD.

Righteous Might
Transmutation
Level: Clr 5, Strength 5
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Your height immediately doubles, and your weight increases by a factor of eight. This increase changes your size category to the next larger one, and you gain a +8 size bonus to Strength and a +4 size bonus to Constitution. You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to your natural armor. You gain damage reduction 5/evil (if you normally channel positive energy) or damage reduction 5/good (if you normally channel negative energy). At 12th level this damage reduction becomes 10/evil or 10/good, and at 15th level it becomes 15/evil or 15/good (the maximum). Your size modifier for AC and attacks changes as appropriate to your new size category. This spell doesn’t change your speed. Determine space and reach as appropriate to your new size.
If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, you attain the maximum possible size and may make a Strength check (using your increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process. If you fail, you are constrained without harm by the materials enclosing you— the spell cannot crush you by increasing your size.
All equipment you wear or carry is similarly enlarged by the spell. Melee and projectile weapons deal more damage. Other magical properties are not affected by this spell. Any enlarged item that leaves your possession (including a projectile or thrown weapon) instantly returns to its normal size. This means that thrown weapons deal their normal damage (projectiles deal damage based on the size of the weapon that fired them).
Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack.

Breakdaddy

First Post
rycanada said:
But even if I just change the saves back, that means I'd have to choose saves for every spell and magic item, rather than using the ones that are detailed from the book. I'd like to have something designed to be rules-light d20 right from the beginning, without having to re-write so many specifics.

Sounds like youve already decided not to try C&C. However, to address your spell comment, you could absolutely change the saves back to D20 with minimal fuss and just use the 3.x spell description for the saves. This will mean zero conversion for you.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I love this game. My group is going to do PC generation and a small into adventure this weekend with the full campaign going from there. The game is very simple and address a lot of my dislikes with 3.x while still maintaining the nice d20+mods>TN mechanic that I like out of 3e. I can't see ever running D&D again. This is perfect for my Greyhawk campaign. It's a BD&D/1e mix done with the OGL and that is just what I have been waiting for.

I love the design as well. No pictures and color patterns under the text making it more difficult to read. Nice black text on white pages. Excellent!

Ry

Explorer
As committed and cost-averse as I sound, a world in which I buy two C&C players' handbooks, an old 3.0 PHB, scissors, and a glue stick, is not really an impossible world. I'm just grappling with whether it's the best of all possible worlds.

Remove ads