How Setting Faithful are You?

When you start a new campaign, do you change to a new setting?

• Yes

Votes: 48 45.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 54.3%

Gilladian

Adventurer
I've been using my homebrew setting for a good 20 years now. I just move to a new region when I get ready to start a new campaign, and that's enough of a change in flavor. I get to keep the same gods, house-rules, etc... and yet can change from "dwarf army recruits" to "wealthy noble children" to "peasant brats avoiding the law" as themes.

I run 10 year long games. After that long I usually have a bunch of new ideas for my next world to run.

In the last 30 years I've run three games that lasted 12 years, 8 years and 5 years. I'm just starting a new one (after taking a few years off of running). Each one was a different world - although there were two genres - two were superhero and two were fantasy. :)

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Generally speaking, yes.

I'm running the Savage Tide Adventure Path in Eberron at the moment; when that finishes (one way or another), I'll probably run something else, at least as a short campaign, before going back to the Eberron well.

Crothian said:
Where's the sometimes options?

Generally no but sometimes we need a change. This is what I have done for campaigns since playing DnD.

Ravenloft 1 campaign (short)
CoC 1 loooong camapaign
Darksun for 3 campaigns
Greyhawk 1 camapign (short)
Homebrew 1 campaign (short / never finished)
Eberron 1 loooooong campaign / not finished
Starting a new homebrew next month

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*two*

Anything that is Scarred Lands, I automatically consider mine. :p Therefore if it 'changes' it's only cause I'm in charge. ;)

Otherwise...eh.

Hussar

Legend
Fair 'nuff. Looks like the spread is about half and half. Sure, there's lots of flinch factor for the yes/no choice, but, I was just ballparking.

For me, the last six campaigns that I've been involved in, either as a player or DM, have been
  • Scarred Lands x2
  • Eberron
  • Homebrew
  • Shackled City
  • World's Largest Dungeon

So, for me, there's not a lot of setting faith. New campaign time generally means new setting for me.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
same setting different lands, (or time shift) - currently playing in the worlds Age of Enlightenment. (18th century explorer/scientist theme)

same HB world 5 campaigns, did one campaign in a new world, but players wanted to return
to the old one.
With others as DMs we have used Eberron, and a generic fantasy.

Arkhandus

First Post
Not usually. I prefer to play or run multiple campaigns in the same setting, but I do like to try different settings too. So for instance, I've run two campaigns so far in my Rhunaria homebrew, two in The 13 Kingdoms (well, sorta), one in Rokugan, and one in my Azeria homebrew. I've also played in something like 3 or 4 campaigns in The 13 Kingdoms, and a few miscellaneous campaigns. However, most campaigns I play or run tend to be kind of short, ending after a few months or a year, and some were run only every other week (or once a month in some cases). I'm just unfortunate that way.

Remove ads