How Setting Faithful are You?

When you start a new campaign, do you change to a new setting?

• Yes

Votes: 48 45.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 54.3%

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Lord Mhoram said:
I run 10 year long games. After that long I usually have a bunch of new ideas for my next world to run.
Ditto, and after 10+ years the old world has pretty much been squeezed for whatever can be squeezed out of it...the players know all its secrets and tricks, so starting over at 1st level in the same world loses much of the discovery aspect. And I'm bored with running it. :)

Also, with each new campaign come a whole batch of rule changes based on what worked/didn't work the time before, and on ideas I've stolen since. So, Riveria was quite a bit different from Telenet, and the next one (probably a few years off) will be just as different from Riveria. To use the same world over again would thus run aground on a massive problem of inconsistency.

Lanefan

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
My main campaign, which began in Western Hârn has stalled with the players in the border village of Trobridge. I hope to be able to re-start this year. In the meantime I’ve begun a second campaign in central Hârn (southern Kaldor) which is developing slowly. I’m also looking at running a one off adventure in Chelemby City, on ‘HârnWorld’ but not on the island of Hârn. The only other fantasy gameworld I ever use is Glorantha.

IIf I start a new campaign, not only will it be set on Hârn, but I’ll re-set the campaign year back to the Hârnic ‘year zero,’ TR720. I can remember huge chunks of Hârnic history, geography and background, why let that knowledge go to waste. If I change my mind, I'll only leave Hârn for Glorantha, or, possibly the Traveller 2300 universe. I've a vague desire to get back to a SFRPG.

I've never really put a huge amount of effort into one setting so my campaign setting is normally a place where I make as much of it up as the PC's need to know. As such I would say that it is a new setting each time I start a new campaign.

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads