• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How should a GM handle refused plots

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I think GMs should avoid having plots. The Dungeon World (maybe PbtA games in general?) Concept of "Front" is superior.

So, basically, a Front is more like the villain's scheme or plot, than a novoel's plot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using EN World mobile app

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I think GMs should avoid having plots. The Dungeon World (maybe PbtA games in general?) Concept of "Front" is superior.

So, basically, a Front is more like the villain's scheme or plot, than a novoel's plot.

So that was odd.

To continue my thought, this actually helps your situation. Okay, so the party didn't bite on your obvious clues, what evil thing happens because of this lapse? Make that happen, keep making it happen until they take notice.

If you get all the way to the end and they still don't bite, then you can say you truly muffed on their interests or making a compelling plot.

So that was odd.

To continue my thought, this actually helps your situation. Okay, so the party didn't bite on your obvious clues, what evil thing happens because of this lapse? Make that happen, keep making it happen until they take notice.

If you get all the way to the end and they still don't bite, then you can say you truly muffed on their interests or making a compelling plot.

So, if they don't get on your train, put a station at every intersection with the same train waiting for them?

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I love to plot ahead and plan the world around the PCs When they go off track, as in almost always unless it is an adventure path or the like, I get all excited and can't wait to see how it will turn out However,the world around them continues So most likely, they will hear about the paths not taken in one way or the other

jasper

Rotten DM
Pull out Candyland! This is the last resort when after the session 0, talking with the players and getting no feedback; orif you get feedback and change things and the players don't bite.
I used to be a "we here to game dm". Here is the adventure we are going to play it. I slowly changed my ways. BUT there was always some goober of a player who love throwing a spanner in the works.

S

Sunseeker

Typically, I prepare 3-4 "plots", often similar (since I assume the players will not be interested in at least one and thus, won't know it's similar!), but I've always made it clear to my players that there are a limited number of options. If they're here to just run around and do whatever they want and ignore the greater stories, issues and elements of the game, I'm not going to waste my time running that. If that's what they want to play, they can run it, I might even play in it.

But frankly my solution is and always has been: honesty and pre-game buy in. When I ask my friends "Hey who wants to run some dark horror campaign?" and I get 3-4 people in support, I can generally assume that when I present them with some dark horror plots, they're gonna go for it.

practicalm

Explorer
As a DM, I work to present multiple plot lines and let the players pursue those they are interested in. Often they will follow multiple plots at a time a main villain plot and a few secondary plots.

Plots players don't follow up either get resolved off screen by other heroes but not as well as if the players had done it.

Langy

Explorer
Depends. What do you mean by 'rejected the plot'? Did you mention something happening - say, a murder in town that was supposed to lead to the discovery of a vampire in town leading to a death cult rampaging the kingdom - and they didn't investigate it like you expected? They decide against going on the quest that's supposed to kick-start a series of adventures? Whatever it is, just work the consequences of them rejecting the plot into the game world. The vampire goes unchecked, the death cult grows in power, and the King is deposed - whatever.

By adding consequences to the player's inactions as well as their actions, you make the game feel more like a 'real place' - and you can probably reuse large parts of your plot later on when the players start to realize that Bad Stuff is happening and go to investigate (or don't, in which case you get to let the bad guys win, which is always fun).

Crusadius

Adventurer
Just move on. Perhaps you can re-introduce it later.

Also a GM could prepare themselves by asking what kind of plots the Players are interested in before starting play, thus reduce the probability of plots being rejected.

Remove ads