• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How should I go about playing this Wizard?

Given that you have no attack cantrip at all, any sort of damage you do will need to be done with a weapon. I can't remember offhand what wizards are proficient with, but have a couple throwing daggers just in case and maybe another weapon that can use dex. That is a "just in case" type of thing. Honestly, if you get cornered alone, your best bet would be to run or surrender and offer your services as a scholar/healer (not magically, but medically) or repair man (mend the bandits boots). Disguise self would be useful for either, and color spray is your go to debut / "oh s***" spell if things get dicey.

Honestly, given that spell loadout mage armor almost feels kind of like a waste. You've only got two spells per day and with no offensive magic things shouldn't really be jumping to attack you unless they just hate spellcasters. You could pass for a "rogue" if you use disguise self to wear "leather armor".

I'd consider picking up a damage cantrip next, even if you aren't an evocationist you will eventually need one. Probably the most useful you will be to your group aside from colorspraying once a day, is using alarm as a ritual at camp, stabilizing people with medicine if they fall, and providing arcane knowledge and roleplaying entertainment. Check with your DM to see if you can use minor illusion to summon either cover for your allies, or a "monster/minion" to try and give the rogue an ally to sneak attack with. You could be decent at entertaining (a pity you don't have performance proficiency), especially if swapping mage armor put for find familiar is an option, as you could play up the street magician with a pet monkey/owl/bat/rat/etc. vibe, or a fortunetelling con man if you were proficient with playing cards (imagine street tricks with minor illusion), but alas missed opportunity.

So. It has been a while. There have been some developments and I've read up on the suggestions peeps have made.

First of all, "Reeala Ridenhour" as she is called now has some new stats as my dm wanted me to reroll my stats and I was like "I may as well redo the rest as well" and he let me.

Her stats are:
str :14 (+2)
dex :15 (+2)
con :14 (+2)
int :18 (+4)
wis :14 (+2)
cha :15 (+2)

I think these new stats are better though the two 15s make me unsure about how to level her stats as I could have more of a focus on feats with +1's or I could just round them up and go for more utility/power.

She's prof with:
Medicine (+4)
Investigation (+6)
History (+6)
Arcana (+6)

I do agree that being prof with Performance would be a great idea but I couldn't actually add it without actually changing her background and that would mean I would have to change her backstory . . . So I'm probably going to get it later with the skills feat.

She knows:
Common
Infernal
Elvish
Dwarven

The reason she knows different languages now is because I was told that Humans, Elves and Dwarfs would be the common species in this new champaign and it only makes sense that she would know these languages as the other races are almost non-existant. Also knowing these languages would allow her to understand what people would be saying behind her back most of the time which I think is important for a Tiefling who may get harshy judged.

And here are her new spells:

Cantrips:
Prestidigitation
Firebolt
Minor Illusion
Thaumaturgy

Lvl1:
Silent Image
Burning Hands
Mage Armour
Comprehend Languages
Find Familiar
Illusionary Script

First of all. I was like "I can't have offensive spells cause I only know Illusions" and then I was like "doesn't Prestidigitation and Thaumaturgy have fire elements to them?" and then I was like "she's part fire demon . . ." and so Firebolt is a thing now so she has a reliable means of attacking now.

Then I've got Burning hands cause "she's part fire demon".

As for buffing spells, I have Mage Armour which could be used on our Ranger so that she can be more of a frontliner and I'm hoping to pick up some other buffing spells as she levels up.
As for a backup weapon, she has a Dagger. The reason she hasn't got a Quarter Staff is because I decided that her Arcane focus would be a Staff and it doesn't really say that you can use your Arcane focus as a weapon so yeah, a Dagger.

Next. Reeala has an appearance now.

She's 6ft'11 which is pretty tall for a Tiefling.
Her build is kind of like that of an enlarged human, not a fat one but a bigger one, kind of strong as well, so she's got a bigger head, bigger arms, bigger legs etc. (230lb)
She's got Bovine Legs (like a Minotaurs) and Horns that curve back from the top of her head the hence abnormal height.
She's got Sharp looking Pointy Teeth
A long pointed Tail
Red Skin
Strange Orange Eyes (not human nor demon)
Black Hair in the style of a Bob
and she wears a beige robe and her staff looks like it came from a tall stair banister.

As for why she doesn't know Disguise Self to hide her appearance from people . . . its because she doesn't want to decieve people and the spell wouldn't really help her anyway as it wouldn't change the shape of her being . . . though I guess could look like a giant suit of armour . . . its just that she wouldn't sound like she was in a suit of armour.

And last of all, her backstory has basically ammounted to:
"Trying to save a dying school of magic by becoming a master of it"
"Trying to create peace between Tieflings and the other races by being a sort of walking representative of her species"
and
"Trying to make the world a better place as she searchs for her Wizard Teacher (to learn more from him) as Bandits and the reapparance of monsters have made the land dangerous to roam"

And yeah :) That's about it :)

Did he give you some loaded dice, too!?! :p

Nope :) I use Gem/Stone Dice :) (https://www.thediceshoponline.com/s...TheDiceShopOnline-Precious-Gemstone-Dice-Sets) They're heavy compared to other dice so I make sure to switch and turn them between my hands alot (without looking or any indication as to which way up they are facing) before I give them a long roll :)

They're very balanced as they are all one material, have precision cuts rather than being casted/molded and the numbers are also painted on without indentations so they've very even in weight :)

Also :) My DM has a system of "roll 6 times and then reroll one stat" which basically got me a bunch of high stats and fixed an 8 :)

Also, I balanced my stats in such a way that the +1 int and +2 cha effectivly stopped me from having anything less than a +1 :)

Also, I was just very lucky :) Said gem dice I've used have given me some pretty awful rolls when I've needed them most :)

Remove ads