• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to add more sorcery points?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No I shouldn’t. If someone is unsure what I mean they can ask. If they make an assumption and get it wrong they should expect a pointed response. they should be mature enough to understand why they are getting such a response and to not dig in and blame their incorrect assumption on anyone but themselves.

Personally I’m quite tired of having to defend myself against things I never said or thought.

Frog...come on. You’re being rude and aggressive, here, for no reason.

Sometimes the misunderstanding is on the speaker, and you need to just cool it and let it go. No one would get short with you over a correction if you weren’t rude and condescending about it. If you respond to someone misunderstanding g your words by talking to them like their either being dishonest or they’re an idiot, it is absolutely your fault if they respond in a defensive or even rude manner. Take responsibility for your own attitude.

we are all quite tired of watching you lose it over someone not reading your mind.

For subclasses, you could just add some low-level damage (say 1d4) based on the subclass (fire, cold, lightening, acid, poison for dragon [depending on type of dragon], psychic for wild, lightening or thunder for storm, radiant for divine, and necrotic for shadow) for all damage caused by sorcerer spells. Not enough acid spells for your black dragon sorcerer, no problem, because all spells do acid damage now, etc.

Then offer to up the die for the cost of a spell point (upgrade lasts 1 minute per spell point per level upgrade), so if you want d6, that cost a spell point; d8 cost 2......

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

I am being how I am for a very good reason and I’ve already shared that reason.

Sometimes the misunderstanding is on the speaker, and you need to just cool it and let it go. No one would get short with you over a correction if you weren’t rude and condescending about it. If you respond to someone misunderstanding g your words by talking to them like their either being dishonest or they’re an idiot, it is absolutely your fault if they respond in a defensive or even rude manner. Take responsibility for your own attitude.

Of course sometimes the misunderstanding is on the speaker. Sometimes speakers misspeak or say something that is misleading. In those cases it’s definitely on them. In this case I did neither. Instead I gave a statement about a method for determining how to add more to the sorcerer. I never specified anything about when to apply such a method. Which is very important because the only reply to that was rather pointed toward me and arguing against something which I actually agree.

Should I have been a mind reader and attempted to preempt every unforeseen ambiguity related to my post? Or should I have posted it and let someone ask me about whatever part they found ambiguous.

we are all quite tired of watching you lose it over someone not reading your mind.

Another personal strawman attack? How genuine if you...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I am being how I am for a very good reason and I’ve already shared that reason.
okay, man. You’re gonna do what you want anyway

Of course sometimes the misunderstanding is on the speaker. Sometimes speakers misspeak or say something that is misleading. In those cases it’s definitely on them. In this case I did neither. Instead I gave a statement about a method for determining how to add more to the sorcerer. I never specified anything about when to apply such a method. Which is very important because the only reply to that was rather pointed toward me and arguing against something which I actually agree.

Should I have been a mind reader and attempted to preempt every unforeseen ambiguity related to my post? Or should I have posted it and let someone ask me about whatever part they found ambiguous.
They made a perfectly reasonable conclusion about what you were saying. It’s not a big deal. It would have been trivially easy for you to just say, “Ah, no, what I was saying was to go through that process before showing it to any prospective players.” And just left it at that. What purpose did getting defensive and talking down to someone serve?

Another personal strawman attack? How genuine if you...
Neither a strawman, nor a personal attack.

People aren’t attacking you when they disagree with how you conduct yourself.

5ekyu

Hero
I am working on an alternate sorcerer to accomplish two things, distinguish it more from wizards and make subclasses feel more distinct.

One of my approaches is to do more with sorcery points. I am giving more metamagic as well as subclass specific abilities that use them.

This runs even harder into the sorcerer's resource management problem. I am looking for suggestions on how to provide more sorcerery points to play with without letting a character just using them all for spells.

Is it class-destroying to remove flexible casting and just give a arcane recovery mechanic?

if it hasn't been mentioned - rune child sorc from Taldorei tackles it a different way - when you user sorc metamagic your runes charge and they can be spent on their other abilities.

So instead of allowing more metamagic, they give a tailored "second chance feature" that is fueled by your use of metamagiced spells.

i really like that outcome.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
They made a perfectly reasonable conclusion about what you were saying. It’s not a big deal. It would have been trivially easy for you to just say, “Ah, no, what I was saying was to go through that process before showing it to any prospective players.” And just left it at that. What purpose did getting defensive and talking down to someone serve?

This was my post that you are attempting to describe, "Stop assuming the worst. Of course you don’t do that in play. You theory craft that way before offering that option in actually play. "

There was nothing wrong with this comment. Now I did escalate after the poster replying to the above comment got defensive and talked down to me. Maybe that's the comment you are trying to refer to. If you are then please include the context it was said in your analysis, because after that context is included then me responding in kind was justified.

Neither a strawman, nor a personal attack.

People aren’t attacking you when they disagree with how you conduct yourself.

Describing it as "lose it over someone not reading your mind." was a major personal attack.

Last edited:

The house rule I'm currently considering is to reduce the cost of any sorcery point expenditure by 1 point once per (their own) turn. Then it could go up to 2 points at level 10 or so. To prevent infinite spell slots, I include the rule that any spell slot you make with that discount disappears if not expended on the same turn, and a note that it can't reduce the cost of creating spell slots to less than 1. (I haven't totally finalized these rules, and there were still glitches in the math last time I looked at it.)

If you only want to boost non-spell slots, you could do something similar but just not have it apply when creating spell slots. However, without letting it apply in some way to spell slots, it ends up being significantly less powerful than giving them Arcane Recovery.

I personally think the proper mechanical balance point for the class is to give them Arcane Recovery. However, I also think that is boring and doesn't fit terribly well thematically. This version allows them to use certain metamagics and sub-class abilities for free, which I like.

Rossbert

Explorer
I think as of now I am leaning toward biting the bullet and going full spell points and folding sorcery points into them, maybe even reducing the total to account for the increase in class features and metamagic. I still need to come up with a starting spell point ability for wild magic mages (dragons get a breath weapon, extraplanar get a fear/charm effect), I might also look at adding some sort of point recovery mechanic to make up for the change.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That makes them more wizard-like, me no like that.

I don't really think it makes them more wizard like. Wizards only get one school for special things. The school points would eventually be for all of the schools, or at least a number of them, which is very unwizard-like. Add to that the sorcery points work with metamagic, which wizards don't get and it's even less wizard-like.

That said, how about making it spell level based? Give them a sorcery point at every spell level which can only be used to augment spells of that level. That's a way to implement sorcery points without tying in schools and still limit the spells the points can be used for. So a level 5 sorcerer would have 5 general sorcery points, 1 spell level 1 sorcery point, 1 spell level 2 sorcery point, and 1 spell level 3 sorcery point.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

Yep. Mind reading is not a skill that I have. :)

Remove ads