• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to defeat KNOCK!!!

Vardock

First Post
I figured out a way to defeat knock. SOVREIGN GLUE. In order to open the chest/door someone needs to make a disable device check in order to trigger a mechanism to release universal solvent. The Sovreign seal is not affected by knock. the locks will open, the bars will lift, but the glue will hold the object shut.

Jack Simth

First Post
Yeah... and the Knock spell also has an area limit (10 square feet per level ... not 10 feet square, like most spell effects) ... and can only affect a maximum of two locks at a time... and it won't lift an overly-heavy portcullis...

There's lots of ways. Most of which are listed in the Knock spell description itself.

Theroc

First Post
And here I was going to just say you shoot the player who attempts to cast knock, and as anyone else if they'd like to try...:devil:;):lol:

[sblock=Disclaimer]
If anyone somehow did not know, I was just joking, and do not endorse or condone the shooting of players... or anyone for that matter.[/sblock]

coyote6

Adventurer
House-rule that players using a knock spell or effect must tell a knock-knock joke. A different one every time. And no cheesy cop-outs, either; an honest to Boccob knock-knock joke, with cheesy punchline and all.

Note: may be ineffective vs. younger players, or players who like knock-knock jokes. In fact, it may backfire.

Runestar

First Post
Use those small wedged-shaped rubber stoppers to block the door from the other side. It is no use unlocking a door if it still cannot be swung open. ;)

Spring-load the lock. The lock remains unlocked only so long as you hold the key turned. Furthermore, make it so it can't unlock if there is any tension on the door. (Make the bolt with a head that's bigger than the shaft. This goes into a hole with a solid outer part and then an inner part that's a little piece of pipe held centered by some fairly strong springs.

If you pull on the door so it opens when the knock spell goes off the bolt will be pressing on the pipe bit and the head will catch on the solid part, it won't be unlockable. If you don't put tension on the door the door will unlock and instantly lock again.

Suzaku

First Post
You know you could always build a chest that has two locks one lock inside the chest holds a compartment of acid when unlocked it swings open dumping acid onto the treasure. Good luck using that belt of giant strength when it's melted.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
It never seemed that much of a challenge to defeat knock, nor have I ever particularly wanted to. There are just not that many situations where it will break the game if the wizard casts that spell.

And knock doesn't get rid of the traps, explosive runes, etc.....

The Auld Grump

azhrei_fje

First Post
I mean, even if you defeat Knock, Adamantine blades will do the job instead ....
Heh, not in my campaign. ;)

Adamantine will bypass DR but it doesn't have hardness 20 that bypasses all hardness of 20 or less. This means it's still useful against constructs and such, but you can't dig a hole in an iron door using an adamantine toothpick. :)

I'm actually thinking of turning it into a coating, like silversheen, and just saying that the real metal is so rare as to be unavailable to mere mortals. I mean c'mon ... how many rocks that fall from the sky will actually contain this ore, and how many of those will be known and mined properly?

Remove ads