How to Design a Wizard's Tower the Marvel(ous) Way

How to Design a Wizard's Tower the Marvel(ous) Way is a 25-page supplement by Eddie Reyes. It is published on the DMs Guild and has a cover price of $10.99. The author sent me a review copy.

Reyes believes the wizard tower is an iconic D&D location that has been under-served by previous products. This book offers sixteen tables covering topics such as tower location, construction, regional effects, and encounters. There is an emphasis on the weird and wonderful, such as towers made of human flesh or embedded in the pages of a book. There's also information on adjacent elements such as magic springs, primal fruits, and unearthly roads.

The content is good, and I will likely look to this book for inspiration when writing. The focus is on externals, and I wish Reyes had included more content for the interior—for example, ten ideas for a wizardly antechamber or what you might find in a wizard's lab.

The layout is straightforward, with black text on a white page. I like this aesthetic, but I wish Reyes had used a bigger font and more leading. I suggest he examine some of the books published by the OSR to see good examples of b/w layout.

There is a small amount of original line art, coupled with some color stock art. Frankly, I don't think the combination works, and I wish he had used stock line art to complement the original line art.

Some will balk at the $10.99 price. Let me say that I'm sympathetic to creators who have not yet found their audience. Charge at the market rate, and you make pennies for your effort. Charge above market, and you might make nothing at all. Those who can afford the price will acquire a valuable resource with many imaginative ideas.

You can read more content from me on my blog

Last edited:

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
The content is good, and I will likely look to this book for inspiration when writing. The focus is on externals, and I wish Reyes had included more content for the interior—for example, ten ideas for a wizardly antechamber or what you might find in a wizard's lab.
Raging Swan has lots of wizardly tower interior ideas here: https://www.ragingswanpress.com/search?q=wizard

Remove ads