• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to Design Better Urban Adventures

bento

Explorer
Most of the flags are long term, althought little things will crop up from time to time. Like the 212 year old Kitsune who gets recognized by an old man walking by.

"I must be losing my mind, but you look just like Michiko, my old girlfriend." :heh:

I too once had a DM who could only play NPCs one way - condescending. I make it a point to play a range of NPCs types - shy, avuncular, suspicious, single-minded, nosey, happy but dim, etc.

Once they get back to the main city where most of the action will take place, I've come up with the various power groups and their inter-relations. I'm preparing a guide to the island, with all the important places and groups described. I just hope they take the time to read it.

At the end of every session I typically "open the kimono" a little on how things are organized to help my players understand why things played out the way they did. I'd like to reach the point where I don't have to do this so the overall mystery can build.

LostSoul

Adventurer
bento said:
Most of the flags are long term, althought little things will crop up from time to time. Like the 212 year old Kitsune who gets recognized by an old man walking by.

I'd make up an NPC whom the PC fought years and years ago. No, wait - I'd make an NPC who was a friend of the PC a hundred and fifty years ago. A great friend; they fought alongside each other, sacrificed for each other, gave blood and tears for each other.

(I'd also tell the player that I'm doing this, and have him help me make up the NPC. What did you guys fight for? Why were you such good friends?)

Then I'd pick another flag from a different PC and put this NPC in conflict with that. e.g. There's a cleric with Extra Turning? Sweet, this NPC has become a Necromancer in the meantime, and is planning to do something that the 212 year-old PC wants with that army of undead.

arscott

First Post
The difficulty with city campaigns is that there is an overabundance of options. So any model that has the players choose "The right option" is bound to fail.

The best bet is to make whatever the PCs decide to do be the right solution. Perhaps after they're into it, you can make some of the paths into red herrings, but even then, they should be important red herrings that are entertaining rather than frustrating--Instead of furthering the plot, red herrings can add detail to the campaign. But have whatever the PCs do work, unless it's really incredibly stupid.

Hussar

Legend
Arscott makes an excellent point I think. Particularly with the red herrings being entertaining. Make sure the red herrings become fairly obviously red herrings before too long as well. I know as a player I'd be a bit annoyed if that thread we've been following for the last three sessions turned out to be a complete dud. But, use the side trip bits to ground the players in the setting a bit further.

Ry

Explorer
Yeah, red herrings need to be nipped if the players are chasing them too well. When I ran the Shackled City part 1, the players were interviewing orphans, and off the top of my head I made one of the orphans make up this elaborate story about ghosts sneaking into the orphanage.

When some other players indicated that they were asking questions of the kid as well, I rolled some Sense Motive checks and they realized the kid just wanted attention.

Also came up with the memorable exchange between players:

Player 1: They'll like us - we brought candy!

Player 2 (recently duped by the orphan): We also brought gold, but the little liars aren't getting any.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Another note: don't think all your adventures and games in the city have to be major events, also have some day to day stuff, mostly crime, that they players can get wrapped up in. A lot of this you can steal from your local news papers. Just ask yourself the questions: Do the players become envolved? Yes: Adventure - No: Change to Location

Things like:
Gang moving into area and asking for protection money. This becomes the local gossip and shop owners, who should be having contact with the players, ask the players for help.
Players say yes: find out it is land grab to run people out so merchant can build warehouses, if players stop it the merchant will become an known foe. Players keep tabs on him.
Players say no: People move out of the area, crime goes up and soon the area is purchased by the merchant, the area becomes a work zone, the merchant goes to city counsel, re-draw your map. Merchant becomes the Joker.

Remove ads