• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to Design Better Urban Adventures

howandwhy99

Adventurer
bento said:
We talked about this very thing when they were drawing up characters. I "mandated" they provide a description and several character flags. My goal is to get them personally involved in the game by bringing up their own storylines as we go. More active than passive.
That may be part of the problem. Individual backgrounds can be great, but it sounds like each has become intrigued with their own character's history and future vs. the team's. A big bang beginning (or whenever the PCs are now) can help draw them together. A challenge no one person can win alone means they need to rely on each other. Once the group begins discussing and making joint decisions you're on the road to a solution.

A starter adventure like this is forceful, but like I mentioned in the previous post sometimes it is needed. Just think of a situation the players need to take charge of as a team. In a city you could attack their homebase. Delving into the sewers is another possibility. Unfortunately, it is more difficult to allow the PCs to only rely on themselves as so many other potential allies are nearby (the authorities basically). Perhaps the slums or a thieves' quarter might do the trick?

Wraith Form

Explorer
carpedavid said:
a. If the PCs don't get involved, interesting (probably bad) things happen.

And by that, David means "to the players," ideally. They have to deal with the consequences of their inaction, usually by having to do "clean up on isle 7". If they ignored the hook, let 'em squirm. If they took the hook, they're heroes--they're supposed to.

carpedavid said:
b. Remember that every important NPC has an enemy, and is capable of conducting Gather Information checks themselves. If they find out that a group of adventurers is poking around looking to foil their enemies' plots, they may give the PCs all the information they need.

I'm certainly not arguing with David on this, but you might also change tactics and have the enemy oppose the players, adding yet another layer of intregue. Kind of that, "He's MY enemy, and I wanna kill him! Keep your hands off!" attitude.

Aside from a few minor comments to enhance Carpedavid's suggestions, his advice is 100% spot on!

Last edited:

Wraith Form

Explorer
howandwhy99 said:
My advice: GO RIGHT AT THEM!
Bring the challenges to their doorstep and give them some weighty responsibility as well.
Out of curiosity, what kind of responsibilities are you talking about? Can you site examples? (I'm a fairly new DM, too, so I'm interested in learning.)

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Oh yeah, CarpeDavid is right on the money.

Wraith Form said:
Out of curiosity, what kind of responsibilities are you talking about? Can you site examples? (I'm a fairly new DM, too, so I'm interested in learning.)
My citations? The PCs are heroes, so give them people and places to save. I think a good campaign world needs as much of the savory Good (capital G) to enjoy as it needs Evil to defeat. The Good makes it all worth the while. Tolkien does this in fiction as well as anyone. Between civilization and "Here be monsters" lies the borderlands; the traditional place to start. It's the idyllic farming community used in oh so many stories. It can be whatever you desire, but it needs to be worth having around to the PCs (and players). All kinds of dangers can threaten those Goods and so all variety of challenges can be devised.

In D&D, I'd suggest giving the PCs npcs to care for. Put them in leadership roles with authority over the others. When the group is responsible for giving orders they normally are jointly decided (or at least get discussion going). Perhaps the PCs defend a location they call home? Ownership is a strong motivator. Protecting places and things they own can bring people together as a team when deciding on best tactics. I imagine DMs thinking up all the best and most wonderful things to add to their campaign worlds. Players suggest their own favorite things they want in the game. Then each favorite piece of coolness, happiness, and joy is shared during play. Plot your villians to destroy these things.

It's too late sum up, but what I meant by responsibility is placing elements within the adventure that look to the PCs to be in charge. Group decision making should not be ignored at start.

Wraith Form

Explorer
howandwhy99 said:
It's too late sum up, but what I meant by responsibility is placing elements within the adventure that look to the PCs to be in charge. Group decision making should not be ignored at start.
Interesting. I'll have to design situations to employ this idea. Sadly, I'm new enough that it'll be a challenge.

Later....

Could that be modified to include protecting things that shouldn't get into the villain's hands? (I seem to remember a certain ring that--although exhibiting a corruptive influence--needed to be protected by some wee folk...) I know you're referring to the Shire itself (in my example), but couldn't it be extended to the One Ring as well?

Last edited:

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Perhaps you should give us some more details on your campaign and player characters, and maybe then we could help you better.

Apart from that, if you are stuck, just have some strange people trying to shoot them with crossbows. That ought to liven things up.

So someone tries to kill the PCs. But why? Is there a legetimate reason to go after one or all of the PC - have they antagonized a powerful figure in the past? Or is it a case of mistaken identity?

They can attempt to take one of the attackers alive, or perhaps they find mysterious clues on their bodies. In any case, they will be strongly motivated to solve this riddle - because this time it is personal.

Goblyns Hoard

First Post
<thread hijack>

bento said:
Even those that profess team spirit didn't take the extra effort in seeking out the other players to share info and make the next plan.

I once had a game that was exactly the opposite of this... the DM had a chance to put the characters (who hadn't met yet... first game in a very shortlived new campaign) together but made an EFFORT to keep us apart. God alone know why. Shortest campaign ever - after that session we never gamed with him again...

/<thread hijack>

Hussar

Legend
A great starting adventure that would be a snap to adapt to OA is The Hunt for the Charter (Google it and you'll find it - it's free). This is one of my favourite ways of grounding a group in the setting, particularly an urban one. The gist is the party has to jump through all sorts of hoops to register themselves as a free company of sorts and be allowed to be hired as mercenaries. Nice, simple, straightforward and a barrel of fun.

Another setup I did was a party. Have the party start the game at a soiree of some sorts. Place pictures of interesting NPCs in a circle around the player's minis. Go around the table and see who wants to talk to whom. As each player chats up an NPC, other players or yourself can call "cut" at anytime to move the action to the next player. Keep going around the table until you feel its time to quit. Lots of fun and allows everyone to more or less know everything that's going on.

Berandor

lunatic
carpedavid is correct. Read his post again.

What's important is that you should not only expect the PCs to win the adventure and try to facilitate that. Be prepared to have the PCs lose, even if that means the city is overrun by drow or whatever. That only serves as fodder for the rest of the campaign ("Hey, weren't you the ones that freed the drow?" / "We were that close to capturing the dragon, but then a couple of drow showed up and foiled our plan. If they didn't have a foothold in that city, it would have never happened.")

Second, the NPCs know the city. They should be able to "work it". And they should have an agenda that has them act and not sit around until an adventurer shows up.

Remove ads