• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to disarm a person with a bow?

mirzabah

First Post
Originally posted by AGGEMAM
Chapter and verse, please!!
OK, how about the very first four words under the heading "DISARM" on page 137 of the Player's Handbook. If you don't have a copy handy, they are: "As a melee attack ..." (my emphasis)
Originally posted by AGGEMAM
Nowhere is it specified that the target of a disarm is not considered a weapon, if it is a ranged weapon.
I also notice that the Sage Advice snippets you seem so fond of quoting do not specify that ranged weapons are considered weapons for opposing a disarm attack. Disarming is melee and you can't use ranged weapons in melee except as improvised weapons. This time you can look it up for yourself.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
mirzabah said:
OK, how about the very first four words under the heading "DISARM" on page 137 of the Player's Handbook. If you don't have a copy handy, they are: "As a melee attack ..." (my emphasis)I also notice that the Sage Advice snippets you seem so fond of quoting do not specify that ranged weapons are considered weapons for opposing a disarm attack. Disarming is melee and you can't use ranged weapons in melee except as improvised weapons. This time you can look it up for yourself.

Whips are considered ranged weapons, (from the sage's words as well as the books) and you can disarm with them, even get a bonus when doing so.

mirzabah

First Post
Stalker0 said:
Whips are considered ranged weapons, (from the sage's words as well as the books) and you can disarm with them, even get a bonus when doing so.
I don't have the books in front of me, but I am certain that you will find that the ability to disarm with a whip is a special facility unique to that weapon and it still doesn't change the fact that disarming is a melee attack.

Also, we are actually talking about how you treat the target of a disarm attack, not the weapon used to do the disarming.

nick

First Post
How easy would it be to simply cut the string on the bow? The enchantment is in the wooden part of the bow, so you wouldn't have to worry about the weapon being broken, plus you would neutralize the archer quite effectively.

Thanee

First Post
Uhm... where does it say, that the wood of the bow and not the string or better the complete bow including wood and string, is enchanted, and thus protected from lesser weapons?

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Impossible...Fie!

Mark Chance said:
That's a nonargument.

Yeah, I'm aware of that...

Along your lines, I should be impossible to punch in the head because I can simply move my head out of the way. My limited experience with boxing, however, indicates strongly that this is hardly the case.

Still, I don't know anyone would bother using a disarm attack on an archer. It seems more sensible to either attack the bow itself or (better yet) hit the archer. >:) [/B]

The difference is, that someone aiming for the body should have it easier to hit, instead of someone aiming for an easily moveable part of the body. It seems a lot more difficult to move the head out of the way, than the hand (holding the bow). Well, to me at least! :)

Anyways, I also see it of much better use to attack the archer directly, instead of his bow.

Bye
Thanee

Macbrea

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Impossible...Fie!

Thanee said:

Yeah, I'm aware of that...

The difference is, that someone aiming for the body should have it easier to hit, instead of someone aiming for an easily moveable part of the body. It seems a lot more difficult to move the head out of the way, than the hand (holding the bow). Well, to me at least! :)

Anyways, I also see it of much better use to attack the archer directly, instead of his bow.

Bye
Thanee

Assuming you treat it as an object and not a melee weapon. The bow is very hard to actually hit. AC would be 10 + archers dex bonus + archers deflection bonus + 5 for hand (- 1 if a longbow for size).

IMC: I would go with:

If you choose to state that a Bow is an improvised weapon then it becomes alittle easier. A bow is made of a bow-staff bent by a string. Therefor -4 profiency penalty to their melee attack numbers for purposes of disarming.

I would not damage a bow that someone parries with anymore then I would break Siaghams, Staves or clubs if you parried with them. All three are wooden halfed weapons. I have no problem with a person deflecting glancing blows with a bow-staff. This means also that an archer can walk around with a bow-staff unstrung and string it when they need it.

Exotic weapon:
Large
Long bow Bow-staff 1d4/1d4 2x/2x 3lbs (b)
Medium
Short bow Bow-staff 1d3/1d3 2x/2x 2lbs (b)

* double weapon can be strung as bow

Last edited:

AGGEMAM

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Impossible...Fie!

Macbrea said:

Ok, your House Rule.

If you choose to state that a Bow is an improvised weapon then it becomes alittle easier.

Beware this actually makes AoOs for archers possible, do not go there..

It is to me totally wierd why people not just use the perfectly good rules for this in the PHB.

Last edited:

Macbrea

First Post
Hmm, this brings up a question. Can I use items as improvised melee weapons?

If you can which of these would be weapons?

Wood stool (2 lbs)
Metal Beer mug (1 lb)
A wooden door (10 lbs)
An iron bar (4 lbs)
A workman's Hammer (1 lb)
A dead human body (150 lbs) (swung by a giant)
A boulder (50 lbs)
A Rock (10lbs not thrown)
A flexable branch 2 inches in diameter 5 ft long (3 lbs)

As you can see the last one is an unstrung bow-staff. I am not sure its not an improvised weapon. Now, it might be wise to make an assumption you cannot make AoO with weapons you are not skilled in.

Remove ads