D&D (2024) How to fix multiclassing?

Horwath

Legend
Multiclassing is in theory an optional rule, but I have seen it at 100% of games that I played.
So, in my experience it's a core rule. Same as feats.

Problem with multiclassing is that classes need to be defined early on.
That is have lot's of features at levels 1-3.

early on, that is not a problem, most of the time 6th level single class is better than 3/3 split. but 5/1 could be "cheesed" into some OP combo.
at 10th level 5/5 split will mostly be horrible compared to 10th level character, but 8/2 or 9/1 or 7/3 could again be a problem.

also, to me, even split of two classes would be perfect representation for multiclassing.
And only two classes.

within one level of eachother.

But, how to deal with the power problem of missing higher level features?

solution could come from 3.5e multiclass feats from Complete adventurer/scoundrel.

I.E.
feat: raging shifter:
requires 3 levels in barbarian and druid.
+1 ASI,
Your barbarian and druid levels stack for calculating rage damage and number of usages.
Your barbarian and druid levels stack for calculating wild shape CR and types used.
You can enter rage and wild shape as a same Bonus action if you are moon druid.

some class feature might be too strong so classes could only add half(round up) of their level to other class faetures.

I.E.
Feat: martial stalker:
requires 3 levels in fighter and rogue.
+1 ASI,
Half your fighter levels(round up) add to your sneak attack progression.
half your rogue levels(round up) add to your fighters Extra attack progression.

feat: mystic theurge:
+1 ASI
requires 3 levels in two full casting classes:
Half levels in one class adds to levels in other class for availability of spell levels.
Spells prepared and known stay the same.

that is 6th level wizard/6th level cleric with this feat would both have available 5th level spells as both classes would count as 9th level(6+3) for access to spells.
both classes could still prepare only 6 spells plus their respective casting modifier.
Spell slots would be of a 12th level caster per normal multiclass rules.

Pauln6

Hero
I think that the fact that multiclassing is so widely used is probably a sign that it is working as intended. The fact that some people want class features available only to single classed characters is a level of overpowered wish fulfilment that we should approach with caution.

And let's not forget that 1e multi classing wasn't well designed either, balanced by race themed level limits.

I think a feat that let's you learn a higher level spell than you could otherwise cast feels worth it (balanced against feats granting 2 low level spells). I'm quite nervous about providing massive scaling benefits for both classes for the cost of a single feat. Purchasing certain level dependent class features with a feat might be doable but tbh buying 1d6 extra sneak attack is comparable to Martial Adept. Three attacks must remain high level fighter only though IMO but I appreciate that you would only qualify at levels 16-20.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
I'd like to see something like 2e multi/dual clsssing as an option. Maybe with a penalty to proficiency & exp gain.
Since many people do milestone leveling and collective XP, any penalty for XP is a nonstarter.
And I really would like to avoid tampering with proficiency bonus, since it's advancement is cornerstone of 5E.
having classes forced into being within one level of each other mimics dualclassing together with feat "tax" to have classes gain some features faster like in dual classing.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Since many people do milestone leveling and collective XP, any penalty for XP is a nonstarter.
How dare an option not be compatible with anything that "many people" might possibly do. 5e needs to shed the one true way that strips the GM toolbox as it moves forward to one d&d
And I really would like to avoid tampering with proficiency bonus, since it's advancement is cornerstone of 5E.
That's exactly why a hit to proficiency bonus is one that will really set apart a multiclassed hybrid from a straight single class build.
having classes forced into being within one level of each other mimics dualclassing together with feat "tax" to have classes gain some features faster like in dual classing.
Not always & the other penalties make up for that. Take the stacking spell slot progression & upcasting of spells for example

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
I find with this system the majority of key abilities stack between classes.

• Proficiency (the big one!)
  • HP
  • Spells per day (another big one that opens up many builds)
  • Proficiencies (acknowledged by multiclassing or gained by class abilities)
  • Subclasses

What are the scaling class abilities above 5th level that don’t stack with other class abilities or feats?

• Attacks (fighter class only)
  • Highest level of spell known (Spellcasting classes)
  • Sneak attack (rogues)
  • Wildshape power (Druids)
  • Size of die for boosting abilities (bard, Battlemaster etc)
  • Rage damage (Barbarian)
  • Speed (Barbarian, Monk)

It seems to me that the class abilities that you get from levels 1-5 more the make up for the difference in the abilities above.

Maybe highest level spells known is the most painful but look what you gain. In exchange for that 10th level character losing knowledge for 2 5th level slots and 3 4th level slots (that can be filled will upcasted spells - so not a complete waste) the character could be getting a wealth of additional abilities many of which can complement the spellcasters style.

To me it is simple that a multiclass character should not be as affective at a single class ability as a single class character is… that’s the down side to diversifying. The advantage is a wider range of powers.

Last edited:

Multiclassing is fine just the way it is in 5e. It provides a lot of flexibility to make the character you want, and it's also remarkably balanced. Both single class and multi class characters are perfectly viable in actual play.

The one change I'd like to see is a way for 50/50 split casters to get a bit more than half the spell progression of either class. Taking more than 1 or 2 levels in a different class is too punishing for casters.

aurvay

Explorer
The ultimate fix would be making all classes gain subclass features at the same levels (like once in each tier of play for a total of 4 subclass features), so they could create multiclassing subclasses (instead of multiclassing with, say, sorcerer, you take the sorcerer subclass on top of whatever your base class is, at level 1) and be done with multiclassing entirely.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
The ultimate fix would be making all classes gain subclass features at the same levels (like once in each tier of play for a total of 4 subclass features), so they could create multiclassing subclasses (instead of multiclassing with, say, sorcerer, you take the sorcerer subclass on top of whatever your base class is, at level 1) and ban multiclassing entirely.
that could also work.

but that approach maybe would be better worked with feats.

feats.
rogue training: 4th level,
+1 ASI
gain +1d6 sneak attack, gain one expertise.
you can gain this multiple times, but only once by rogue

Extra attack: requires 8th level
+1 ASI
gain Extra attack feature, this does not stack with extra attack gained from class.

healing hands: 4th level,
+1 ASI
gain lay on hands, but only 3HP per character level if taken by paladin

practiced spellcaster: 4th level, cannot be full spellcaster
pick a full spellcasting class.
+1 ASI
gain 2 levels of spellcasting in that class.
you can gain this feat multiple times

metamagic adept: 4th level
+1 ASI
learn one metamagic
gain sorcery points equal to your proficiency bonus.
can be taken two times. But only once by sorcerer.

Remove ads