D&D (2024) How to fix multiclassing?

Are you sure that's right? The actual wording says, "you can use spells slots you gain from the Pact Magic Class feature to cast spells you know or have prepared from classes with the spellcasting feature." That explicitly states the spell slots remain warlock spell slots. The issue is actually that the font of magic class feature applies to any spell slot. It just needs to be limited to sorcerer spell slots or spell slots gained from the multiclass spellcaster spell slot table, which would exclude warlock spell slots.

And it explicitely say, what you can do with them: casting spells.

What is not stated? That you can use them to fuel class abilities that rely on spell slots.

So it is TRDSIC, not RAW that you can use warlock spells for smites...

and then, it is only a few more d8's per day, which you pay with later access to high level powers like improved divine smite.
Multiclass combos just peak at certain levels as do single classes. Go one level down or up, and the other character has the upper hand.

Pauln6

Hero
And it explicitely say, what you can do with them: casting spells.

What is not stated? That you can use them to fuel class abilities that rely on spell slots.

So it is TRDSIC, not RAW that you can use warlock spells for smites...

and then, it is only a few more d8's per day, which you pay with later access to high level powers like improved divine smite.
Multiclass combos just peak at certain levels as do single classes. Go one level down or up, and the other character has the upper hand.
The issue is with smites generally doing too much damage for me. Paladin damage spikes, save bonuses and laying on of hands strain bounded accuracy a bit too much.

It is the class features themselves which state that spell slots fuel those class features as oppoosed to class spell slots because multiclass spell slots are not class spell slots. What's equally clear is that warlock spell slots are also not multiclass spell slots and so that tiny clarification in a simple sentence is all that is needed.

As an alternative, give multiclass warlocks an additional sentence that lets them convert a warlock spell slot into a class feature or vice versa once per long rest to overcome the short rest issue.

FYI My own PC is a sorcerer warlock multiclass and if anything, she needs a boost, not a nerf, but that might be because she's a Tome Warlock and not optimised for damage dealing.

The issue is with smites generally doing too much damage for me. Paladin damage spikes, save bonuses and laying on of hands strain bounded accuracy a bit too much.

It is the class features themselves which state that spell slots fuel those class features as oppoosed to class spell slots because multiclass spell slots are not class spell slots. What's equally clear is that warlock spell slots are also not multiclass spell slots and so that tiny clarification in a simple sentence is all that is needed.

As an alternative, give multiclass warlocks an additional sentence that lets them convert a warlock spell slot into a class feature or vice versa once per long rest to overcome the short rest issue.

FYI My own PC is a sorcerer warlock multiclass and if anything, she needs a boost, not a nerf, but that might be because she's a Tome Warlock and not optimised for damage dealing.

I also think, clarification is needed more than everything else. Funnily, the original first printing explicitely calls out paladin spells slots for divine smite. It was changed, because there are no paladin spell slots. But eldritch smite uses warlock spell slots.

The correct way to discern them would have been: pact magic spell slot vs spellcasting spell slot.

The change to reliable talent and jack of all trades seems to indicate, that they are willing to put in some extra words for clarification. So I am optimistic that we will see a better wording which prevents multiclassing abuse.

Last edited:

Pauln6

Hero
I also think, clarification is needed mkre than everything else. Funnily, the original first printing explicitely calls out paladin spells slots for divine smite. It was changed, because there are no paladin spell slots. But eldritch smite uses warlock spell slots.

The correct way to discern them would have been: pact magic spell slot vs spellcasting spell slot.

The change to reliable talent and jack of all trades seems to indicate, that they are willing to put in some extra words for clarification. So I am optimistic that we will see a better wording which prevents multiclassing abuse.
Yes I think that additional words are the most likely fix.

The Rogue sneak attack spell stacking clarification would not impact a rogue paladin sneak smite but would the assumption be there that even an arcane trickster is going to have a limited number of spell slots to call on?

Remove ads