• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How to get advantage as critting great weapon fighter?

PnPgamer

Explorer
For my next character I have an idea of a crit build fighter, of course going to be half-orc (extra damage die on crit) and choosing the champion (crit on 19 or 20) archetype. However in order for me to crit more often I need to have advantage almost constantly, and I am here to ask how to do it. I would prefer if my character could obtain it on its own, but if I can bitch to my party about it is fine too.

I do not wish to go multiclassing, so barbarian with reckless attack is out of the question (gosh I wish I could obtain it without multi...)

EDIT: I Forgot to add that I am looking for TWO HANDED build, because of great weapon master feat + great weapon style.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
Shield Master. Pretty much the only way without multiclassing.
That makes it 1 handed, and really hurts the crit damage.

But, you don't need a shield to push someone down. It cost 1 attack, which is..
1 attack: not worth it.
2 attacks: not worth it, unless allies can also get advantage.
3 attacks: worth it, if your opponent has low athletics.
4 attacks: worth it, even at moderate althletics.
*include any bonus attack, like from GWM or polearm master.

Either that, or get a friendly teammate to cast foresight on you, or knock someone prone, or cast fairy fire, or...

Last edited:

PnPgamer

Explorer
Hey I started inspecting very thoroughly these things, and noticed the Martial adept feat. Even though not as good as battlemaster's class ability, you can get following maneuvers to grant advantage:
Feinting attack (bonus action to next attack to have advantage)
Trip attack (large or smaller target makes str save or prone)

its 1 feat, but... yeah...

pdegan2814

First Post
Hey I started inspecting very thoroughly these things, and noticed the Martial adept feat. Even though not as good as battlemaster's class ability, you can get following maneuvers to grant advantage:
Feinting attack (bonus action to next attack to have advantage)
Trip attack (large or smaller target makes str save or prone)

its 1 feat, but... yeah...

The feat only gives you a single superiority die to spend on maneuvers, so you'd only get one maneuver per combat encounter at most. I doubt it's worth blowing an ASI/feat slot for, especially not early on.

ShogunAssassin

First Post
Champion doesn't have a lot of options and you have already decided your not multi classing and your two handed. Theres not a lot of feats for melee attacks that gets advantage. Sadly your character is laid out for you for the next 20 levels.

BUT

you do have a party. Got a magic user? get them to grab Hold Person. Its auto crit and at level 5 (with GWF & GWM) you will be able to do 5 attacks. Attack action + extra attack + bonus (GWM for the crit) + action surge (2 more attacks) + you can make them all have the +10 damage to them. I would suggest you go battle master and use trip attack etc for advantage by your self & your damage combat superiority dice also get critted & GWF rerolls!!!!

Remove ads