• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to Play-by-Post?

Felnar

First Post
i'm wondering how play-by-post works
logistics, scheduling, die rolling, different methods, etc?
i've never tried it and just wondering how it's done

perhaps someone could link to an example
thanks

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Well, there's the Playing the Game and Talking the Talk boards here at ENWorld which are nothing but pbp.

I've been running a campaign via message board since January 2006. I'd say that, as a rule of thumb, each hour of normal play translates into about a month of pbp, and that's with regular posting. If you have slackers, it can take even longer.

As a result, the focus should be less on slam-bam action (although it's D&D, so some of that is almost always appreciated) and more on roleplaying, since people can take advantage of the time between turns to post long discussions between characters and the like.

I recommend taking out some of the randomness of the game and using point buy or Invisible Castle, which records rolls for later. Likewise, when I do it, I roll all the dice as DM, but Invisible Castle is some folks' preference as well.

Battlegrids are difficult -- but not impossible -- to do, so you may want to go with a more narrative style adventure, but if you have a FTP space, an image editing program and a bit of patience, you can make battlegrids work.

Ron

Explorer
I play-by-post at RPOL.net. The site provides a dice roller and a few other facilities. Check it out and follow a campaign thread to see how is done.

Ariel

First Post
In addition to the excellent sites already mentioned, unlimitedrpgs.com is also a good place for PbP. In my personal opinion, the interface at that site is "cleaner" and easier to read than RPOL -- though RPOL has many features that ULRPGS does not, such as a dice roller.

Regardless of where you try, PbP gaming is really great. I don't have the time for TT gaming and PbP is a viable alternative. In many ways, it has advantages over TT in that writing out a character's speech faciliates better role play, etc.

I agree with the previous poster -- jump in, the water is fine!!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads