How to tell when you have an ungrateful crybaby as a PC!

Xandercrisp

First Post
Kicking someone out of a gaming group is a really difficult thing to do. The problem is that you ARE saying you do not want to play with them anymore, and are often saying that you don't want to associate with them either. Any method of doing this almost has to end in hurt feelings. The two best method, if you can manage it somehow is to get the player in question to drop the group. That allows that player to save face by making it look like it was that players idea, not yours. If that is not possible, then a short conversation between the GM and the player saying "you are no longer welcome here" is probably best. Very unpleasant, but any direct method will be unpleasant.
Yes our the groups I have played in have kicked out two players in the past 15 years. Both times the GM talked to all the other players individually first, waited a while, talked again, then had the final talk with the player in question. It helped me understand why banishment was considered a punishment on par with death in some cultures.

UD

First Post
Im Chair of our Unis Wargames and Roleplaying society. It has to be open to teh whole student body if they pay there membership. It has about 30 members I have a list of 5 who arn't welcome in my games due to their disruptive attitudes, I also try and play my games where others can't disturb me, harsh but I think its necessary.

Darklone

Hmm

Only time I kicked players out of the game... they got themselves killed (walked back through the main entrance into the jail where they just fled to get their weapons...) and accused me for killing of their chars without reason.

Ah, one of them cheated often too. The other one didn't have to, he never actually rolled below 10 with a d20... Should have stolen those dice.

Hmm. I am having problems with a DM too. From the other point of view. Maybe I still will be leaving the group, but I think we can talk.

Do you talk with him?

Holy Bovine

First Post
UD said:
they wabted rif ofs character to commit suicide

I'm sorry UD but its driving me nuts what does this really say? 'wabted rif ofs'? WTH??! :D

I have had three seperate occasions where player conflict has either ended or nearly ended the game.

First was in a Warhammer RPG campaign. Went on for 2 years and was nearing its (exciting) conclusion when I was informed by two of my players that the 4 others wouldn't be able to play together anymore :( . They said that it was nothing to do with me and they (the 4 players were 2 couples) had some difficulties with each other. No one was messing around but one of the women was saying things about the other woman to her ex. That killed that campaign (still have the notes and charcters too - man that final battle was going to be great :mad: )

Second (and third) were in my current D&D campaign. A couple (same 'problem' couple as in the first example BTW you'd think I'd learned my lesson about these two ;) ) suddenly starts sending 'hate' email to my fiancee's sister-in-law. Bad feelings abound and I dissolve the group - only to reform it 2 weeks later minus the trouble makers. I have no idea where these bad feelings came from but when you are calling someone a loser and they need to 'get a life' that enough for me.

The other instance in this group was a friend of my fiancee's brother who went nuts one night and nearly came to blows with another player (who I have known for years and is probably the most inoffensive/tactful guy i know) over division of some magic items. I handled this poorly and let one of my other players try to handle and be a peacekeeper between them. By the end of the session I was very upset and spent a couple fo days trying to figure out how to handle this. Turns out the guy who went nuts was having some problems with his GF and just took it out on the other player. He was embarrassed and asked if it would be OK if he could drop out. Solved my problem (though not in the best way I thought at the time) and my campaign has been trucking along great ever since.

SO I guess I handle problem players by letting someone else handle it :D

Chimera

First Post
I just gotta add a "sometimes it works out for the best" post-script. Strange, since I'm not one to believe in such nonsense.

After dumping my gaming group in January, and being seriously depressed about it for the last two months, I now have not one, but TWO NEW GAMES to be a part of. Thursday night I'll be joining a 3e FR game "already in progress", and on sunday afternoon I will be playing Call of Cthulhu for the first time.

Woo Freaking Hoo!

Yes Virginia, sometimes walking away from people you play with is the best thing to do. Not only for your soul and your sanity, but for your gaming life.

Remove ads