• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

how to trick out an Arcane Trickster with a bow?

F5

Explorer
I'm looking for advice on statting out a somewhat non-standard build.

Picking up Leadership at 15th level, I'm planning on adding an Arcane Trickster as a cohort. The group is sorely lacking in stealth, and I like the way that the wizard powers complement my own character's (a Wiz/Loremaster). We don't need any more meat.

We have a decent shortbow (+1, holy seeking), that no one in the party can (or wants to) use. So I'm thinking I can build the A.T. to make use of the bow once his spells run out.

Sticking to just the 3 core 3.5 books, here's what I've got so far:

Human rog4/wiz5/AT3
Str 12, Dex 16(20), Con 14, Int 17, Wis 10(so, no Zen archery), Cha 12
BAB+6/+1
Spells per day: 0/4, 1/5. 2/4, 3/4, 4/2
Feats: point blank shot, silent spell, weapon finesse, combat casting, rapid shot, weapon focus (sh-bow), precise shot.

Assume +4 gloves of dexterity for equipment

Given this build, what spells, gear, etc, can you think of to bump up that attack bonus with the bow, to a level where it's actually worth trying to hit the kind of stuff we'll be fighting at 15th level? Would you tweak the build anywhere?

With Greater Magic Weapon, and Improved invisibility, and Reduce Person active, I can get the attack bonus up to +19/+14, damage 1d4(reduced)+2d6(vs evil)+3d6 sneak attack, within 30 feet. +17/+17/+12 rapid shot. That doesn't suck. But it is a lot of buffing.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited:

whydirt

First Post
What's with the Weapon Finesse? If the guy is casting buffing spells, then shifting to ranged combat I'd go with something else instead.

F5

Explorer
whydirt said:
What's with the Weapon Finesse? If the guy is casting buffing spells, then shifting to ranged combat I'd go with something else instead.

I threw the weapon finesse in to give him a few more options. With a +6 BAB and only a 12 STR, he'll be pretty much unable to hit anything by hand. Swapping that +1 for a +5 helps a little.

Basically, rather than having a one-rtick-pony, I thought it would be useful to have a 2-or-3-trick pony.

I'll think about dropping finesse. Any thoughts on what to replace it with? Practiced Spellcaster would be huge, but Complete Arcane is out (sticking to only the core 3...pout...) :(

Rackhir

Explorer
He is not going to survive in Hand to Hand. If a mage gets into hand to hand, he should run away. So there is little point in planning for it.

Improved Initiative is always good for a Rogue type. Remember that until their initiative in the first turn enemies are flat footed, which means you can get sneak attack damage on them.

His attack bonuses seem pretty decent. Are you fighting especially high AC monsters frequently?

Bracers of Archery are always good for an archer type and a quiver of elhona. Don't forget to load up with the "golf bag" of arrows. Silver, Cold Iron, Adamantine, etc... So he'll have an easier time overcoming DR.

Prism

Explorer
F5 said:
I'll think about dropping finesse. Any thoughts on what to replace it with? Practiced Spellcaster would be huge, but Complete Arcane is out (sticking to only the core 3...pout...) :(

I would drop weapon finese. For a backup to ranged attacks take the chill touch spell and maybe the vampiric touch spell. Chill touch is great as it lasts multiple rounds and being a touch spell is much easier to hit with. Vampiric touch if you want a hit point boost. Both are sneakable too. Anything bigger comes your way then withdraw as a full round attack will probably mean death

Instead how about improved init. With the bow drawn using rapid shot you can get off 3 shots against flat footed opponents before they react if you win initiative. Then use the following rounds to cast spells

I presonally wouldn't go for combat casting either. At this level your conc skill could be +15 which is high enough. Extend spell for greater magic weapon, maybe false life and also acid arrow. An extended sneaked acid arrow will do a total of 12d4 over 6 rounds plus 3d6 sneak +1 (PBS). Probably your best sneak option

yennico

First Post
F5 said:
I'm looking for advice on statting out a somewhat non-standard build.

Picking up Leadership at 15th level, I'm planning on adding an Arcane Trickster as a cohort. The group is sorely lacking in stealth, and I like the way that the wizard powers complement my own character's (a Wiz/Loremaster). We don't need any more meat.
So you do not want a pure ranged combat rogue. I dislike the concept of your complement of wizard powers. Will you play your PC and also the AT? Playing two spell casters with different spell lists can be not an easy task. :)

F5 said:
We have a decent shortbow (+1, holy seeking), that no one in the party can (or wants to) use. So I'm thinking I can build the A.T. to make use of the bow once his spells run out.
I do not like the idea of building a NPC around a specific item or weapon. What happens to this NPC if this weapon is destroyed by an enemy?

Remember the AT is not at the caster level of your PC and he is not a full spell caster so his DC are lower than usual. So most of his spells will be buff spells which can be easily dispelled by the enemy spell caster.

F5 said:
Sticking to just the 3 core 3.5 books, here's what I've got so far:

Human rog4/wiz5/AT3
I have seen a AT build in 3.0 in which a NE human rog1/wiz5/ass1/loremaster2 entered the AT PRC so this AT build can use level 9 spells. I do not know if this build also can be achieved by using 3.5. Here is this AT build.

F5 said:
Feats: point blank shot, silent spell, weapon finesse, combat casting, rapid shot, weapon focus (sh-bow), precise shot.
If this NPC stays out of melee combat and attacks only by ranged attack why does he need combat casting? Change this feat to e.g. spell focus or weapon focus: ray, shot on the run or item creation or metamagic feat like heighten or empower spell.

F5 said:
Given this build, what spells, gear, etc, can you think of to bump up that attack bonus with the bow, to a level where it's actually worth trying to hit the kind of stuff we'll be fighting at 15th level?
I do not know if this AT get a competense bonus from somewhere but greater bracers of archery (DMG) grant a +2 competense bonus on shots with a bow but this ability must be build in the gloves of dexterity.
An efficient quiver (DMG) is always good for an archer.

F5 said:
With Greater Magic Weapon, and Improved invisibility, and Reduce Person active, I can get the attack bonus up to +19/+14, damage 1d4(reduced)+2d6(vs evil)+3d6 sneak attack, within 30 feet. +17/+17/+12 rapid shot. That doesn't suck. But it is a lot of buffing.

Anyone have any other ideas?
The duration of GMW is 1h/level so this two spells (bow and arrows) can be cast long before a fight so you need only three rounds two get ready for the fight.

Remove ads