• Climate change

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Major impact event (asteroid, etc.)

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Rogue black hole

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Gamma-ray burst

• Earth becoming too hot as the sun brightens (1 billion yrs)

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Andromeda–Milky Way collision (4 billion yrs)

• Sun turning into a red giant (5-6 billion yrs)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red giant sun engulfing earth (7-8 billion yrs)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heat death, big rip, or other end to the universe (20+ billion to trillion of years)

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Wiped out by aliens

• Wiped out by our own machines

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Nearby supernova

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • We will never be extinct

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 13.6%

Nothing that "we" do will wipe out 100% of the populance and I suspect we would survive certain asteroid strikes and the such. Its more- will we have the ability and the TIME after knowing the planet itself is about to be wiped out in some cosmic pool game bank shot to get off it?

Time will tell......

Mount Toba supposedly came close to doing us in before (though from what i gather the theory may be losing steam), so i am going to go with a volcano.

Ragnar_Lodbrok

First Post
Nothing lasts forever. However, we've proven to be very adaptable because of extensive tool use and the ability to develop and reproduce much more complex and effective tools than other species. There are only a handful of regions we haven't been able to colonize thoroughly, and many we have are very different from East Africa. When we go, it will have to be a variety of factors, simply because most of these are either not thorough enough to kill everyone or are so far off that it's not likely humanity will even be recognizable. Whatever caused the Permian Mass Extinction could do it, and a large enough impact event would, but drastic, rapid climate change seems more likely right now.

Remove ads