D&D 5E How would you build a non-monk unarmed warrior?

PnPgamer

Explorer
I stqrted thinking this, and came up with strength fighter with feats boost up his unarmed combat, mainly using tavern brawler feat. What are your ideas for this? Would you use some other class and why?

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I'd defenitly use the Tavern Brawler feat and go Fighter or Barbarian. These are better options for unarmed strikes/improvised attacks as Strenght-based martial classes.

Last edited:

Tavern Brawler is the only real way, as far as I can see, and as a Feat it is limited to Humans at level 1. For Background, go for Sailor I’d say; for Class Fighter, Barbarian or maybe a Rogue. Fighters would be best I think, as they get more supplementary manoeuvres. High Strength is probably needed.

Paraxis

Explorer
It's not a very optimal build choice so I would stay away from it personally. But if one of my players wanted to do this I would encourage a Captain America build using Human Fighter and going Battlemaster. The reason for human is you want both Tavern Brawler and Shield Master feats as soon as you can get them.

You will do only d4+str damage on your main attack, but your AC will still be good because of shield and the bonus action shield bash you can use to knock a target prone every round hopefully giving advantage to your own punch and hopefully some allies attacks on him aswell. Spice up all this bare fisted punching with cool maneuvers from battlemaster and a free hand to grab, use improvised weapons, pick up disarmed weapons, and other creative things and you have the makings of an effective and fun character.

The main issue is your lowish damage, if you don't do damage and therfore are not much of a threat you are also not much of a tank as the enemies will ignore you. It might be fun to try and come up with cool stuff to do to make up for lack of a weapon, but in the end your best option is just to pick up a weapon and use it.

Talk to your DM and maybe he will place interesting and good damaging props to be used as improvised weapons around the encounter areas, or if you just don't want to use forged weapons carry around a collection of improvised weapons on you like Casey Jones from the TMNT.

But if your goal is a big bare knuckle boxer, without weapon or shield I am afraid you would need to go beyond the book and work on making your own fighter or barbarian subclass.

Another alternative is to just modify the Monk thematically, so that it’s a street fighter by trade rather than an ascetic warrior.

It would take a degree of work to get the DM to sit down and work it out with you, and you really ought to remove a lot of the more mystical abilities by rights too. You could possibly do this by multi classing at an early Level though - as most of the more mystical stuff occurs at higher levels.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I would go Bard.

The problem with Tavern Brawler and Shield Master together is that they both want to use your bonus action.

Bard allows you to contribute outside of dealing damage. You have spells and grappling to let you control the battlefield.

You also have a big impact in the social pillar.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Shield is an option, and i had in mind a guy with medium or heavy armor. The shield master and the tavern brawler feat combo should work well, actually. You only need to grapple once, and it makes a huge difference that you can do damage while attempting maneuvers. Given that you at first grapple an enemy as a bonus action, then just bash him down with your shield constantly... Except the enemy cannot get up as he has a speed of 0 because of grappled condition.
Besides the shield shove can be targeted to anyone, not just the targets youve attacked.
The only trouble i have, is that fighter doesnt get any bonuses to the athletics check to grapple or shove. Barbarian rage gives advantage, and rogue could give expertise.

EDIT: second trouble is also that can shield arm be used for grappling? If not, using improvised weapons is kinda out of the question

Last edited:

Tormyr

Hero
Make a half-orc barbarian. Max out Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution. Minimize Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. Give him Tavern Brawler feat.

And name him Banner. :)

Remove ads