D&D 5E How would you build a non-monk unarmed warrior?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Unarmed Strikes are melee weapon attacks though?

Nope. They errata'd it. Unarmed strikes are explicitly NOT weapon attacks.

From the Errata document:
Weapons (p. 149). Unarmed strike doesn’t belong on the Weapons table

Melee Attacks (p. 195). The rule on unarmed strikes should read as follows: “Instead of using a weapon to make a melee weapon attack, you can use an un-armed strike: a punch, kick, head-butt, or similar forceful blow (none of which count as weapons). On a hit, an unarmed strike deals bludgeoning damage equal to 1 + your Strength modifier. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes.”

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Nope. They errata'd it. Unarmed strikes are explicitly NOT weapon attacks.

From the Errata document:
Weapons (p. 149). Unarmed strike doesn’t belong on the Weapons table

Melee Attacks (p. 195). The rule on unarmed strikes should read as follows: “Instead of using a weapon to make a melee weapon attack, you can use an un-armed strike: a punch, kick, head-butt, or similar forceful blow (none of which count as weapons). On a hit, an unarmed strike deals bludgeoning damage equal to 1 + your Strength modifier. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes.”
Even in the quoted section they call it out: You can use an unarmed strike in place of a weapon to make a melee weapon attack.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Errata said:
Instead of using a weapon to make a melee weapon attack, you can use an un-armed strike: a punch, kick, head-butt, or similar forceful blow (none of which count as weapons).
Even in the quoted section they call it out: You can use an unarmed strike in place of a weapon to make a melee weapon attack.

I can see your interpretation. You are saying that you can make a "melee weapon attack" with a number of things that explicitly aren't weapons.

That's not how I read it, but it could be. I read it "Instead of using a weapon to make a melee weapon attack.." (i.e. you need a weapon to make a melee weapon attack) "..you can make this other type of attack instead (and that are explicitly not weapons)". Let me see if Sage Advice has any further clarification.

Ah, found something:

Can a rogue/monk use Sneak Attack with unarmed
strikes? The Sneak Attack feature works with a weapon
that has the finesse or ranged property. An unarmed strike
isn’t a weapon, so it doesn’t qualify. In contrast, a rogue/
monk can use Sneak Attack with a monk weapon, such
as a shortsword or a dagger, that has one of the required
properties.

But that still fits your reading, that you can use non-weapons to make melee weapon attacks. Hmm. (Similar under Savage Attacker.)

Ah, found it:

What does “melee weapon attack” mean: a melee attack with a weapon or an attack with a melee weapon? It means a melee attack with a weapon. Similarly, “ranged weapon attack” means a ranged attack with a weapon. Some attacks count as a melee or ranged weapon attack even if a weapon isn’t involved, as specified in the text of those attacks. For example, an unarmed strike counts as a melee weapon attack, even though the attacker’s body isn’t considered a weapon.
Here’s a bit of wording minutia: we would write “melee-weapon attack” (with a hyphen) if we meant an attack with a melee weapon.

This supports your reading. You're right - unarmed strikes do could as melee weapon attacks so they will work with various boosters like Battlemaster.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I can see your interpretation. You are saying that you can make a "melee weapon attack" with a number of things that explicitly aren't weapons.

That's not how I read it, but it could be. I read it "Instead of using a weapon to make a melee weapon attack.." (i.e. you need a weapon to make a melee weapon attack) "..you can make this other type of attack instead (and that are explicitly not weapons)". Let me see if Sage Advice has any further clarification.

Ah, found something:

But that still fits your reading, that you can use non-weapons to make melee weapon attacks. Hmm. (Similar under Savage Attacker.)

Ah, found it:

This supports your reading. You're right - unarmed strikes do could as melee weapon attacks so they will work with various boosters like Battlemaster.
Thank you! I knew there was Sage Advice about it somewhere, but you actually went through the effort to find them.

Somehow I feel like I failed a charisma check writing that.

If you have Xanathar's, the feat Prodigy (Expertising Athletics) makes this kind of build a lot more viable to pull off with a single-class Fighter or Barbarian. Only for Humans, Half-Elves and Half-Orcs though.

gyor

Legend
Tabaxi Hexblade Bladelock. Make your claws (unarmed natural weapons) your pact weapon, then get feats like Eldrich Smite, Improved Pact Weapon, Thirsty Blade, Extra Attack, and spells like Hex). Actually you don't even need to be a Hexblade for this build.

Remove ads