• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would YOU nerf it?

Elric

First Post
It is if you can apply the penalty after the roll.

If I were to houserule the orb, that is my preferred houserule.

Orb of Imposition: Once per encounter, after a save is rolled, you may apply a penalty to that save equal to your wisdom modifier.

That way the ability is always used when its useful.

Indeed, this is exactly what I proposed above.

Edit: Another problem ability: The Messenger of Peace (Cleric PP in Divine Power)'s Daily 20 is too good (as players can just focus fire on monsters not affected, then affected monsters one at a time, and it has a strong effect even on a miss).

Last edited:

eamon

Explorer
Another problem ability: The Messenger of Peace (Cleric PP in Divine Power)'s Daily 20 is too good (as players can just focus fire on monsters not affected, then affected monsters one at a time, and it has a strong effect even on a miss).

Wow, that is one nasty ability. I suppose missed enemies could attack others to make em "snap out of it" - but it's certainly nasty. Esp. with any kind of auto-damage; if you can avoid attacking them but still damaging them somehow, you can kill everyone "in their sleep" as it were...

Destil

Explorer
IOrb of Imposition: Once per encounter, after a save is rolled, you may apply a penalty to that save equal to your wisdom modifier.
Yeah. That's fair and easily the best fix. Don't get me started that the wand power is a single attack roll and the orb is every save; before we even consider the differences in Save vs. Defense scaling.

Player’s Handbook:
Class Powers/Features:
Seal of Binding (Cleric Daily 25): You can sustain this power no more than three times.
(This combos with a Demigod’s Divine Regeneration to kill almost anything, and taking an opponent out of the fight for many rounds can be too good on its own)
Come on, Divine Regen is clearly the issue here. Demigod is one of the most powerful epics without even considering it (back from the dead is low level, +2 to two scores is the standard for 'Always On' bonuses, level 30 is a know potential gamebreaker). Divine regen should just be ability modifier regeneration, and allowed to stack with regeneration from any single other source.

All +2/+4/+6 damage items: Encounter Power, add a +5 item bonus to damage. This can actually come ahead in some cases for builds that have some but not many area attacks, but I think that's cool (choosing to use it at the right time is way more interesting).

I've mentioned my personal armor fixes in a separate thread and I'm happy with the results. Hide Armor Expertise needs to die and a lot of other builds need to have their AC scaling fixed.

Whirling barbs shouldn't get Barbarian Agility, most likely.

Two-weapon rangers shouldn't get prime shot. An old one, but still a good fix.

The 'feat tax' feats are such a huge can of worms I don't want to even start talking about them, but they're on 'The List' of things most DMs who really care will want to fix, somehow.

Dragon is, likewise, a huge can of worms and things in there tend to be all over the place. Wonder what I could do with that feat that grants your con bonus to AC with a minor for a fighter + hide expertise at epic...

keterys

First Post
Come on, Divine Regen is clearly the issue here.

There are other ways to get regeneration, or a lot of temp hp, or just a lot of hp with a save available at the end. Either way, the ability proactively makes the fight more boring for a player and an important monster. Meh.

Demigod ... level 30 is a know potential gamebreaker

It's a little better, after the errata.

Wonder what I could do with that feat that grants your con bonus to AC with a minor for a fighter + hide expertise at epic...

Eh, only for 1 round of an encounter. Fighters with hide expertise end up where they were in Scale, even if they're pumping Con to max, so that's not a problem.

Destil

Explorer
There are other ways to get regeneration, or a lot of temp hp, or just a lot of hp with a save available at the end. Either way, the ability proactively makes the fight more boring for a player and an important monster. Meh.
I still think regeneration in the upper 20s or low 30s is a LOT in 4E.... damage just dosn't scale that fast.

Eh, only for 1 round of an encounter. Fighters with hide expertise end up where they were in Scale, even if they're pumping Con to max, so that's not a problem.

Did they fix that at the end of the month to be 1/encounter? Because as originally worded I didn't see any such limit...

Last edited:

FireLance

Legend
What does "nerf" mean??
A fairly good definition from wikipedia:
In computer gaming, a nerf is a change to a game that reduces the desirability or effectiveness of a particular game element. The term is also used as a verb for the act of making such a change. The term is used as a reference to the NERF brand of toys which are soft and less likely to cause serious injury.​
Although the article only mentions computer gaming, it is also used in this context when discussing game elements from table-top RPGs such as D&D.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads