• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you rule this?

Psimancer

First Post
I was playing my Warforged the other night, and an enemy (the last one alive) fell prone due to a strategically placed Grease spell.

On my action, my character ran forward and attempted to land on the prone bad-guy, with the intention on damaging him (kinda WWF body slam!)

My DM did a good job of it (not quite how I would have done it, but hey, each to his own), but it did get me thinking…

There is no actual rule for this (of which I know) and I just wanted to see what other DMs would do…

(To be fair, I was really into my character and his head space, I really wasn’t meta-gaming the mechanics, I just did what I thought was natural for the character – and I wanted to have a little fun…)

How would you resolve the action?

IamTheTest

First Post
If I thought that you could pull it off Id let it happen that way. In a lot of scenarios I reward good roleplaying with successes. I think that itd look great so Id let it happen. Thats just the way I roll.

RigaMortus

Explorer
Psimancer said:
On my action, my character ran forward and attempted to land on the prone bad-guy, with the intention on damaging him (kinda WWF body slam!)

I would say this is a Charge Attack, with an Unarmed Strike and the end of it... I would give you the choice of (a) remaining prone as you are slamming onto a prone guy or (b) getting back up as a free action that does not provoke, because after all, it is just "flavor" what you did, and you shouldn't get penalized for that.

Psimancer

First Post
Thanks for all the responses - its good to see that most are in line (more-or-less) with what I would have done; Charge & Slam (natural attack of the Warforged) against a Prone target with Power Attack, possibly treating it as ‘two handed’; 1.5 x Str bonus, x2 on Power Attack… If the attack misses, it would mean that the target got out of the way in time… EDIT: And treat it as a Touch Attack...

My DM ruled an arbitrary 3d6 damage and DC (unknown) Reflex Save. His call and that was fine – I wasn’t going to break the momentum of the moment with arguing the physics/mechanics.

Last edited:

Telas

Explorer
Sounds about right.... I had a similar situation. We were fighting flying things on top of a pyramid, and my Dwarf in heavy armor wanted to bull-rush, grab, and slide down the side of the pyramid, holding the flying thing.

Two standard actions (grapple and bull-rush), but the DM decided that it was "cinematic" enough to bend the rules for.

Of course, I rolled a 4 on the grapple, so we just tumbled down the side of the pyramid, and it flew away.....

Good DM's are worth their weight in gold. Well, worth their lean muscle mass, at the very least.

Telas

Remove ads