• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you stat this weapon?

Storyteller01

First Post
We have a toy at our local gaming shop that looks like a plastic ball, until you spin it. Centripitle force causes it to open, revealing something out of an Eicher painting.

Suppose you had a weapon that did something similar? It looked like a ball until throw, in which it would unfold to reveal blades or centripltle force revealed spikes?

Shazman

Banned
Banned
It's definitely be an exotic ranged weapon with a 20 ft range increment. It would do slashing (for blades) or piercing (for spikes). I would stat it out as doing 1d6 and threatening on a 19-20/x3

Machiavelli

First Post
Hm. I'd stat it as a thrown weapon with range increment of 20ft. 1d4 slashing base damage, crits on a 20 for x2 damage.

The only real advantage would be not always rolling for initiative when you draw your weapon. You could toss the ball into the air playfully a few times, then catch someone by surprise by throwing it at them. A DM should probably apply a Sense Motive check if the situation is a bit fishy, or MAYBE a Reflex save, to avoid being surprised. Otherwise it'd be an almost automatic way to catch someone flatfooted if they don't already know or suspect you could be hostile.

Oh, and I'd call it a simple weapon. It's a ball, ferchrissake.

eamon

Explorer
Since you probably need to spin it _just so_ to really get it to work reliably, and that takes training to do without reducing your throwing accuracy, I'd stat it as exotic weapon. a crit multiplier of 19-20/x3 seems steep, I'd prefer 18-20/x2 then. As for damage... it's a thrown weapon, how about, no more than 1d4? looking at a shuriken, I think a 20ft range increment is being generous. Then again, shurikens aren't any good ;-).

FrouzenIland

First Post
Exotic Weapon, throwing, 1d6 19-20/x2, 20 feet range, character can attempt a feint as a swift action the first time he uses it in the encounter. Opponents familiar with the weapon gain +4 to resist the feint.

Thurbane

First Post
Sounds a bit like the thing-a-mabobs from the Phantasm movies...

Attachments

• oldp3_1.jpg
    oldp3_1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Storyteller01

First Post
Sort of. The opened object looks almost like the cursor widget that followed the characters around in Tron (can't find a good picture at the moment). Great pic though. :)

So maybe 1d4 damage, 19-20/x2, and a 30 ft range increment (to make it more appealling than a dart). Make them small and relative easy to hide or over look. Sound good so far?

Last edited:

Felnar

First Post
eamon said:
Since you probably need to spin it _just so_ to really get it to work reliably, and that takes training to do without reducing your throwing accuracy, I'd stat it as exotic weapon. a crit multiplier of 19-20/x3 seems steep, I'd prefer 18-20/x2 then. As for damage... it's a thrown weapon, how about, no more than 1d4? looking at a shuriken, I think a 20ft range increment is being generous. Then again, shurikens aren't any good ;-).
i'd think it'd be as easy to spin as a dagger or axe (or easier)
my vote is simple weapon

but a mechanic for good concealment/surprise would be cool

Remove ads