• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you use a Spiked Helm?

Zarthon

Explorer
Greetings all,

I just got a call from one of my players asking how I would ajudicate an attack with a spiked helm (basically a head butt - think Dwarven Battle Rager). Anyway I told him that a spiked helm is esentailly spiked armour, so he should run it like that.

What do you think?

BTW: What happened to the spell check function?

Alchemist

First Post
Zarthon said:
Greetings all,

I just got a call from one of my players asking how I would ajudicate an attack with a spiked helm (basically a head butt - think Dwarven Battle Rager). Anyway I told him that a spiked helm is esentailly spiked armour, so he should run it like that.

What do you think?

BTW: What happened to the spell check function?

Seems reasonable, I'd do the same.

And I don't know where the spellchecker went. :)

Magic Slim

First Post
For headbutts, treating it like spiked armor is fine. If the player wants to charge foes to skewer them in the abdomen, you could give it double damage on the charge, but the charge will provoke AoO's (since the dwarf is looking at the floor).

Slim

Brekki

First Post
It's in RoF isn't it ? ...

It provokes an AoO when used, and gives double damage on a charge.

I'd use it in combination with power lunge ... you get the AoO anyway :D

Zarthon

Explorer
Brekki said:

Which book is RoF ?

Magic Slim

First Post
Brekki said:

My god I got it right and I've never seen the book (neither do I know what book you speak of... RoF? Races of Faerûn?)

Slim

edit: actually, I got one thing wrong, in RoF, it does 1d4 damage, not 1d6 like Armor Spikes... - Slim

Last edited:

CrimsonTemplar

First Post
I'd use it to injure my neck.

All kidding aside, I'd treat it as Armor Spikes & a light weapon. I'd also say that if they use it in any circumstance other than a grapple (ie charging with their head down to impale, etc) it should provoke.

Remove ads