• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you use a Spiked Helm?

reapersaurus

Explorer
Just wanted to specify - yes, the spiked helmet is a weapon in Races of Faerun.
It has interesting uses.... the afore-mentioned Power Lunge would be good... perhaps Headlong Rush is made for it (2x STR bonus and 3x overall damage)

Zarthon

Explorer
Brekki said:
It's in RoF isn't it ? ...

It provokes an AoO when used, and gives double damage on a charge.

I'd use it in combination with power lunge ... you get the AoO anyway :D

Where do the rules say that useing a spiked helm provokes an AoO, I need a page number if possible because I don't have RoF but a friend does so Im referencing the book over the phone :)

Thanee

First Post
How to use a spiked helmet?

Well, I'd stash it away in some remote corner, so it is out of sight, but I suppose dwarfs have a different fashion taste! :)

Using the spiked armor rules sounds feasible, tho.

Bye
Thanee

reapersaurus

Explorer
Zarthon said:
Where do the rules say that useing a spiked helm provokes an AoO
The weapon description is on page 156 of RoF.
To my surprise, it doesn't specifically state the AoO, but it does detail that it has a Reach of 0.

Zarthon

Explorer
reapersaurus said:
The weapon description is on page 156 of RoF.
To my surprise, it doesn't specifically state the AoO, but it does detail that it has a Reach of 0.

As far as I know a weapon with a reach of 0 cannot be used to make an AoO because it does not threaten an area, It also stands to reason that useing a weapon with a reach of 0 would provoke an AoO but I cannot find that anywhere in the rules. Can someone point it out to me if such a rule does indeed exist

Brekki

First Post
Sorry about the lack of responce ... RoF is Races of Faerun ;)

The spiked helmet is on page 155/156 ... it has a reach of 0 ft, and does double damage on a charge ... I remember reading about provoking an AoO when attacking with such weapons ... if only I knew where :(

Alduk

First Post
Just off the top of my head, isn't that because you have to enter the target's space in order to attack if your weapon has 0 ft reach? At least that is how it works with very small creatures that don't have natural reach, if I'm not mistaken.

Brekki

First Post
Thats true, but I can only find rules about natural weapons having a reach of "0", not about manufactured weapons ... but it should work the same.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads