• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Huge Monk Damage

Banosby

First Post
I'm sure this is a very easy question to answer, but I haven't been able to find out what that answer is. How much damage does an unarmed monk do if that monk is huge? I thought it might follow the rules for increasing the natural attack damage of a monster as that monster got larger, but if that were the case then the monk would do less damage as it leveled up in certain instances (i.e. from doing 4d6 at lvl 11 to doing 3d8 at lvl 12). Thanks for the help.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Hrm, I'd look again. Not having my MM1 with me, I'm inclined to say that one size up from 4d6 is either 4d8 or 6d6, though I could be massively misremembering.

Brad (who wishes he could've taken Improved Natural Attack with his half-dragon anthropomorphic tyrannosaur monk, but that was too long ago)

Banosby

First Post
One step up from 4d6 is 4d8. The problem is that an 11th lvl large monk does 2d8 and a 12th level large monk does 3d6. Make them both huge and the 11th level monk is now doing 4d6 while the 12th level monk is now doing 3d8. One would think that everything else being equal, a higher level monk shouldn't be doing less damage than a lower level monk.

Gumby

First Post
4D6 actually goes up to 6D6. Everything eventually translates to D6s, and every size step = 1.5x, where x is the original size. This is after the original D4 - D6 - D8 progression.
Edit: That's for weapons, anyways. Since monk damage is a little weird, I say just try to match the 1.5x thing as closely as you can.

Quartz

Hero
You could always change the damage to 1d4 + (level / 2). Then only the die scales (d3 small, d4 medium, d6 large, d8 huge, etc) with the size and it reduces the cheese of Enlarging the monk.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Quartz said:
You could always change the damage to 1d4 + (level / 2). Then only the die scales (d3 small, d4 medium, d6 large, d8 huge, etc) with the size and it reduces the cheese of Enlarging the monk.

2d10 vs 1d4+10 for a 20th level monk? I'd feel kind of cheated as the monk, as the highest I can roll will always be a 14. On the other hand, the average damage could be the same. I could definitely see turning his damage into one die + level/2, but I'd feel better with making it a d6 or d8. He trades wild swings of damage for consistency.

Stalker0

Legend
MMI pg. 305 under improved natural attack gives you all the data you need. Take whatever damage is given for a medium sized monk in your table, and then bump it 2 steps on the INA chart.

So a monk who does 1d8 normally would go -> 2d6 -> 3d6 damage. If he does 2d10. Take each d10 and bump -> 2d8 -> 3d8....so total would be 6d8.

gnfnrf

First Post
Banosby said:
I'm sure this is a very easy question to answer, but I haven't been able to find out what that answer is. How much damage does an unarmed monk do if that monk is huge? I thought it might follow the rules for increasing the natural attack damage of a monster as that monster got larger, but if that were the case then the monk would do less damage as it leveled up in certain instances (i.e. from doing 4d6 at lvl 11 to doing 3d8 at lvl 12). Thanks for the help.

Here is how to increase damage by size, as I understand it. Use the full weapon size table, (the one in the SRD or DMG) and don't double back. That is to say, start on the medium line (or whatever your starting size is), and go across to your new size.

For Huge monks, starting from the Large line, this looks like...

1st: 1d8 -> 2d6
4th: 2d6 -> 3d6
8th: 2d8 -> 3d8
12th: 3d6 -> 4d6
16th: 3d8 -> 6d6
20th: 4d8 -> 6d8 (or 8d6...)

--
gnfnrf

Remove ads