Human Interest Story at Battle of Hoth

Razjah

Explorer
[MENTION=82745]RobShanti[/MENTION] You can also try more forced choices to increase emotional impacts. I was given that advice a while ago when I was running a sky pirates campaign. Giving the players the narrative control helps make it that every decision has a cost. For example, PCs are moving through the evacuated medical bay and notice a supply of Bacta was left behind. They can uncover this and use it to aid many injured members of the rebellion. While they see this, they hear imperial troops attacking the blast doors protecting the Ion Cannon controls. What do they do? Run with supplies to help the wounded or fight the imperials to let one more ship escape?

To help with the analysis paralysis that may occur when the players are faced with tough choices, make sure they know they have little time to make a decision. You can always have those two situations go poorly and present a new situation after the PCs see how dire the situation is.

MarkB

Legend
The characters are on their way out of the base when they hear calls for help from down a side corridor - the base's small but serviceable detention centre, affectionately nicknamed the Ice Cubes.

From base scuttlebutt they know that the Cubes are currently housing a handful of rebels on short stays for minor disciplinary infractions such as drinking on duty or cheating at Sabacc, plus one actual Imperial infiltrator - but none of them actually know any of them by name, or which one is the spy, and the Cubes' computer log was trashed in the assault.

They can open the cells easily enough from outside, but can they afford to bring along these people knowing that one of them is a spy?

RobShanti

Explorer
I would very much like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I have so far gotten a lot of mileage out of your suggestions, and just last night ran my third FAE session of the Battle of Hoth.

I used Razjah's idea of General Rieekan getting captured, and the party having to rescue him from Vader's Star Destroyer; Wednesday Boy's idea of having to return to Hoth to salvage some parts to get their destroyed hyperdrive motivator up and running; and MarkB's idea of potential Imperial defectors in the prison "Ice Block."

Throw in some rampant Wampas and I've gotten three whole sessions out of this stuff! Our fourth session will begin with the final escape from Hoth and an attempt to get General Rieekan to the Rebel rendezvous.

RobShanti

Explorer
Will do! Here is our party pic:

Party Pic.jpg

From left to right: "Red Rancor" the pilot, Wes Jansen the gunner, Lamma the Force Sensitive street urchin from Ord Mantell, Captain Quakbar the smuggler/spacer, R1 the Astromech, Ven the advance scout, and looming in the back is "Joker" the assassin droid.

A larger picture can be found here: http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn265/RobShanti/Party Pic_zpsgqjsbwzx.jpg

Last edited:

Razjah

Explorer
Glad to see you're getting so much out of the game! FATE is a pretty sweet game, it's really easy to let the players run rampant and create the situation for you.

RobShanti

Explorer
That's true. I have not yet gotten to the point where I feel secure enough going to a session with nothing prepared and letting the players run the show. That's my goal, but for now, I have to go with a "default" outline. If things don't go the way I plan in the outline, that's great...but I need at least the outline as a safety cushion. And the players are usually happy to let me guide the story. I need to gradually work on letting go.

Remove ads