Human variant archery fighter- did I lock myself into a subpar race?

Andrew Enns

Villager
Can I make my character work? I made a human variant fighter, archery fighting style with longbow, and sharpshooter feat. Have I backed myself into a subpar character? Am I really going to miss racial traits from the half elf that much? Things like dark vision and accuracy and stuff? Can a human really be a good sniper build?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Can I make my character work? I made a human variant fighter, archery fighting style with longbow, and sharpshooter feat. Have I backed myself into a subpar character? Am I really going to miss racial traits from the half elf that much? Things like dark vision and accuracy and stuff? Can a human really be a good sniper build?

Darkivision only works out to 60ft. The only thing it helps with as a sniper is positioning yourself in the dark. The enemy still requires a light source at the target location though or you won't be able to shoot him without disadvantage anyways. So no, you haven't messed up the character. In fact battlemaster fighter is one of the best sniper builds as they get precision attack for a huge accuracy boost. Sharpshooter "feels" essential to any sniper build and getting it earlier rather than later feels really good.

Personally I prefer a wood-elf assassain rogue for a sniper build. It really brings home the one-shot one-kill part and gives better skills for sniping and getting away. That said, there won't be any issue with your fighter sniper concept.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal

You picked one of the classic examples of a good sniper build race. While you will eventually want SS, the -5 is hard to overcome early unless without regular boost to attacking, such as a cleric who regularly casts bless. Crossbow Expert for two attacks early on would have been a better pick, going for SS at a later point (maybe at 8th after increasing your DEX for a better chance to hit and more damage always).

In other words, your race pick is fine, but your order of feat choices could use improvement.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Variant human is pretty much never a subpar pick. At absolute worst, it's always a birdie pick and is only occasionally superseded for a few builds by a straight up eagle pick.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Variant Human is a solid choice for an archer Fighter. The Elven Accuracy feat is handy, but not vital.

If you really want Darkvision for this character, there are ways to get it, some more optimal for an archer build than others. These include a 1 level dip into Shadow Sorcerer, a 2 level dip into Warlock for the Devil's Sight invocation, a three level dip into Gloom Stalker Ranger for Umbral Sight, a three level dip into Shadow Monk for the ability to cast the Darkvision spell 1/day with Ki, a three level dip into Wizard or Druid for the 2nd level Darkvision spell, or simply acquiring a pair of Goggles of the Night.

The first two options - Shadow Sorcerer or Warlock Devil's Sight - not only will have the least impact on your Fighter progression, but also have the added benefit of being 120 foot darkvision, twice as long as standard. Both would get you some utility cantrips and 1st level spells. Warlock also gets you the especially useful Hex spell for added damage, plus another Invocation, and Hexblade's Curse if you go Hexblade Patron for increased critical range and an additional small damage boost. Gloom Stalker Ranger takes a bit longer to acquire, but has some nice benefits, like an additional skill proficiency, the Hunter's Mark spell ("Diet Hex") and the Dread Ambusher ability.

I think selling your soul to take a two level dip into Warlock is probably the best choice, though it does require you to have at least a 13 CHA to qualify for multiclassing. Even if you only have a middling 13 or 14 CHA, there are several useful Warlock spells that don't rely on attack rolls or saving throws, so the cantrips and spell slots would still be useful. The aforementioned Hex spell doesn't rely on a roll or a save, and should be running during most combats. And there are other utilitarian spell choices like Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Comprehend Languages, Expeditious Retreat, Unseen Servant, etc. There are a few other handy non-CHA-dependent options among the various Patron-specific spells too, like Hexblade's Shield. I'd recommend taking the Hexblade patron for Hexblade's Curse and the patron-specific spells, then go Minor Illusion and Mage Hand for utility cantrips, and Hex, Shield, and Expeditious Retreat for 1st Level spells. For your two invocations, I'd take Devil's Sight for Darkvision and then something utilitarian like Eldritch Sight for at-will Detect Magic, or Mask of Many Faces for at-will Disguise Self.

Shadow Sorcerer is a decent second choice, with the main benefits being that it will get your Darkvision the fastest and will have the least impact on your Fighter progression. But just like with Warlock, you'd need at least a 13 CHA. For the 1 level dip, you'd get Darkvision and the Strength of the Grave ability, along with four cantrips and two 1st Level spells. I'd take Mage Hand, Mending, Minor Illusion, and Message, for utility cantrips. I'd then take Shield and Absorb Elements for your two 1st Level spells. You aren't gaining as much as a two evel Warlock dip, but you're also not delaying your Fighter progression very much either.

Ranger can be a fantastic choice for an archer dip, especially on something like a Rogue, but it's not as optimal for a Fighter so I'd rank that as the third best choice. You'd need at least a 13 in WIS to qualify. You'd get an extra skill proficiency, which could be nice if you aren't yet proficient in something like Stealth or Perception. You already have armor and weapon proficiency as well as the Archery fighting style from being a Fighter, so you don't benefit from those, but you could pick up the Defense Fighting Style for +1 AC. You'd get some limited spellcasting with 3 1st Level spells known, and even if you only have a middling 13-14 in WIS, there are some good options that aren't WIS-dependant, like Hunter's Mark (which is a must-have), Disguise Self, Goodberry, Fog Cloud, Absorb Elements, Longstrider, Jump, or Speak With Animals. (I'd probably take Absorb Elements, Hunter's Mark, and either Disguise Self or maybe Cure Wounds for some emergency backup healing to get the party healer back up on their feet if they go down.) 3rd level lets you go Gloom Stalker and finally gets you Darkvision, as well as the ability to add WIS to Initiative, invisibility to enemy Darkvision, and some bonus movement, attacks, and damage on the first round of each combat. If you do go this route, it might be worth taking a further 4th level in Ranger too, to easily pick up another ASI, although Fighters have plenty of those already.

Unless you're totally desperate for Darkvision ASAP and you're just going to do the 1 level Sorcerer dip, I'd recommend waiting until after Fighter 5 to multiclass, to go ahead and get your Battlemaster subclass, first ASI, and Extra Attack too, before wandering off into Warlock or Ranger for several levels.

Last edited:

CTurbo

Explorer
I think you did great! Variant human is a great choice. The +2 to ranged attacks really helps out with the -5 to attacks from Sharpshooter. Just concentrate on maxing Dex ASAP and you'll be fine.

I think Darkvision is the only thing you're really missing, but I wouldn't stress about it. Darkvision isn't THAT much of a big deal as humans are still the most popular race played. If you ARE worried about it, Fighters get a lot of ASI/feat options and you could take Magic Initiate at level 8 after Dex is maxed for the Light cantrip, a second utility cantrip of your choice, and Find Familiar. I love having familiars for my archers.

If you do find your character lacking, eventually multiclassing into Gloom Stalker Ranger as mentioned above would be a great addition for you.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
While you will eventually want SS, the -5 is hard to overcome early unless without regular boost to attacking, such as a cleric who regularly casts bless.

In other words, your race pick is fine, but your order of feat choices could use improvement.

I see nothing wrong with taking Sharpshooter at 1st Level as a Variant Human. You don't have to start using the -5/+10 right away, and can just wait to use it extensively until he gains a few levels and has Precision Attack and a higher attack bonus. The other benefits, of attacking at up to 600 feet without Disadvantage and ignoring 1/2 and 3/4 cover, will both be useful from Level 1.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Yes, you get some benefit from the feat even if you ignore part of it. You get more benefit -at that level - from other feats. That's an opportunity cost.

You right, you did nothing wrong. But nothing wrong doesn't mean no place for improvement.

Precision shot comes at 3rd (assume straight fighter) - you can pick up SS at 4th if wanted, and you'll still will have had twice the attacks of everyone else 1-4 with crossbow expert.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Yes, you get some benefit from the feat even if you ignore part of it. You get more benefit -at that level - from other feats. That's an opportunity cost.

You right, you did nothing wrong. But nothing wrong doesn't mean no place for improvement.

Precision shot comes at 3rd (assume straight fighter) - you can pick up SS at 4th if wanted, and you'll still will have had twice the attacks of everyone else 1-4 with crossbow expert.

CE is strong but it doesn’t go with a sniper concept. IMO

Remove ads