• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Human Viking Race

dragonis111

First Post
I am making one soon using the race builder from advanced races guide as I feel human vikings should be different enough to have their own stats. I am going off of human and adjusting them as I see fit but here are my first racial stats so far, and feel free to add your own suggestions:

+2 str +2 con -2 dex (kinda confused on what stat to make -2 so I just picked dex can be changed)
Weapon familiarity with viking weapons I will also be posting stats for.
Ferocity
Some type of bonus to raging.
Same languages as human
size medium
base speed 30ft
lowlight vision

My goal is to keep the race on the same power level of the core races so effectively no level adjustment.

Evenglare

Adventurer
looks good. I'd say Int for a -2 since vikings are usually low tech, most spell casters are shamanistic which I assume would rely mostly on a decent wis score and not int. Otherwise looks good to me.

S'mon

Legend
I'd put the penalty on WIS not DEX. No one wants to play a warrior race with a DEX penalty, and I can't see any historical or genre reason for it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'd put the penalty on WIS not DEX. No one wants to play a warrior race with a DEX penalty, and I can't see any historical or genre reason for it.
And WIS plays right into the "crazed berserker" stereotype. (Incidentally, I'd call them something other than "Vikings." You wouldn't make a new race for "Texans" or "Californians.")

Ramaster

Adventurer
I would advise against this.

Just leave them as regular humans (they are versatile enough, you just pick +2 STR and that's done).

Alternatively, create a new strong-armed seafaring race, something like a different type of Goliath or something.

+2 STR, +2 CON -2 INT seems about right (-2 DEX sounds a bit more balanced, though). Powerful build, +2 intimidate, +2 swim, cold resistance 5... Something along those lines.

dragonis111

First Post
I'll get around to naming them later and will have the official stats from the race builder posted tonight, I agree with with the -2 int.
[MENTION=6687585]Ramaster[/MENTION] I understand what your saying and I originally considered that but it didn't do the job good enough for me. Also I need this race to have no LA and powerful build and cold resistance 5 would make it at least plus 1 if not plus 2.

Ramaster

Adventurer
The thing is that, in Pathfinder, there is no level adjustment.

The closest thing to that is on the Advanced Race Guide. Basically, every racial trait gets a set "score" assigned to it.

Core races vary from 8 total race points at it's lowest (Half-orcs) to 11 at it's highest (Those short overpowered dwarves!).

I'll build a sample goliath race for you:

Goliaths

* +2 Strength +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence (Specialized, 1 RP): Goliaths are big, strong and have great endurance, but their society and ways are primitive.

* Goliath (Humanoid 0 RP): Goliaths are humanoids with the Goliath sub-type.

* Medium (Medium 0 RP): Goliaths are medium creatures and have no penalty or bonus associated with their size.

* Normal Speed (Normal Speed 0 RP): Goliath's base land speed is 30 ft.

* Child of the north (Skill bonus 2 RP): Goliaths take great pride on their physical prowess and knowledge of the natural world. They have +1 on Acrobatic checks and Knowledge (Nature) Checks.

* Resistance to cold (Shadow resistance 1 RP*): Goliaths are used to living on very low temperatures and have Cold resistance 5

* Powerful build ( 4 RP*): Goliaths are tall and strong. They can wield weapons suited for a creature one size category larger than themselves.

* Endurance (Static bonus feat 2 RP): Goliaths have the Endurance feat as a bonus feat on level one.

Total RP: 10

That's about it.

Shadow resistance actually costs 2 RP and also gives Resistance 5 to electricity. I cut that out and reduced it to only one point. The cost of powerful build is estimated, and if you think it is too low (being Large size costs 7 RP) you can take Endurance out and increase it's cost to 6 RP, but I think this way is good.

vegaserik01

First Post
I don't think I would have a penalty to Int, Vikings were very crafty, and invented all sorts of things that other cultures didn't. Look at their ship building - they navigated seas earlier then most of the world and shallow rivers with the same boat. They weren't stupid by any means, and really not primitive compared to most of the rest of the world.

Evenglare

Adventurer
I don't think I would have a penalty to Int, Vikings were very crafty, and invented all sorts of things that other cultures didn't. Look at their ship building - they navigated seas earlier then most of the world and shallow rivers with the same boat. They weren't stupid by any means, and really not primitive compared to most of the rest of the world.

While this is true I'm sure OP was looking for the common tropes of vikings. One usually doesnt think of high intellect when dealing with vikings, they think of raiding a pillaging and being barbarians, whether they were or not. They did build ships... pretty damn good ones too. So just give them a bonus to crafting skills for shipmaking or something.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads