• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Humans with templates

Thurbane

First Post
If I add an inherited template to humans, like half-fiend, does that character still get the human racial traits of an extra feat at 1st level and an extra skill point per level?

Percivellian

First Post
I think since half-fiend (and similar templates) receive their own skillpoint progression based on racial hit dice, and the fact that you are no longer humanoid (human), but rather (outsider), this nullifies the extra feat and skillpoints. Only humanoid (human) benefits from that.

I suppose if you applied the template later on (i.e. not from first level), you could keep the extra feat, but any new levels wouldn't grant you that extra skillpoint.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Yeah, you retain those original racial traits, just as an elf retains their elf traits.
A half-human/ half-fiend is an Outsider (Augmented Human), after all. :)

As the poster above noted, the skill point reference in the half-celestial, -dragon, and -fiend templates refers to racial hit dice, of which humans have none.

OK, is this so ridiculously easy not one of the 55 viewers bothered answering?
I didn't see the question before now, sorry.

Last edited:

Maldor

First Post
they get to keep them they are their racial ablilitys just like if you add it to a dragon it still breaths fire

robberbaron

First Post
I would beg to differ, certainly for the MM1 templates.

Half-Celestial and Half-Fiend say "The creature's type changes to Outsider".
Half-Dragon says "The creature's type changes to Dragon".

In the sample characters, the type is given as "Augmented Humanoid" not "Augmented Human", so this can be discounted.

If a Human becomes an Outsider or Dragon then he is no longer Human and doesn't get any Human-specific bonuses. Also note that these are Inherited Templates; the creature is born with them so doesn't start with any Human bonuses.

Now, for Acquired Templates, for example the Undead ones, the creature's type changes to Undead but it wouldn't lose any Human bonuses already gained. It would not gain any more, though.

Hope this helps.

gnfnrf

First Post
robberbaron said:
I would beg to differ, certainly for the MM1 templates.

Half-Celestial and Half-Fiend say "The creature's type changes to Outsider".
Half-Dragon says "The creature's type changes to Dragon".

In the sample characters, the type is given as "Augmented Humanoid" not "Augmented Human", so this can be discounted.

If a Human becomes an Outsider or Dragon then he is no longer Human and doesn't get any Human-specific bonuses. Also note that these are Inherited Templates; the creature is born with them so doesn't start with any Human bonuses.

When given one of these templates, does an elf lose weapon proficiencies? Does a dwarf lose stonecunning? Does a gnome lose spell-like abilities? Does an ogre mage lose cone of cold? Does a tarrasque lose reflective carapace?

No.

Neither does a human lose the extra feat or skill points. Maybe, if the half-human is somehow in a position where they are taking racial HD you can argue that those aren't "levels," but in order to do that you'd need to be in a very strange place or using extended rules like racial classes.

--
gnfnrf

pawsplay

Hero
It is cut and dry. Templates always specify when they add or remove traits of features. Further, numerous examples can be found of templated humans. The rule is stated explicitly in Savage Species, and has been given as an official answer on at least one occasion.

Remove ads