[Humour, True story] Why I prefer to DM, or three reasons to give up on gaming.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Ashy said:
VB, if you really want to play and live in iceland, drop me an email and I will introduce you to an old pal of mine. His name is Orri and he is hands down one of the best da** rp'ers around, he's written a large chunk of the stuff on Planewalker and I really think that you two would hit it off. :D

I'll be looking forward to your email.
Orri eh?

I think I might very well know him.

After all, Orri isn't that common name.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
BlackMoria said:
[BOr try to form a group of your own and carefully screen to filter out the weirdoes and screwballs. That is what I did - I had to every three years as I was in the military and was posted somewhere new every three years.
[/B]

That is exactly what I did last time I had to form a new group from scratch. I actually ended up with an awesome bunch of people. Two had never gamed before (1 was one of my wife's co-workers, the other was in the air force and a friend of a lapsed gamer). One was my wife (and no, her character gets no favoritism from me - not that she needs any with all the 20's she rolls), and an airforce guy (lapsed gamer). That group lasted for about 2 years, then the air-forcers left and I had to start over.

I'm currently building a new group from my co-workers. It definitely helps when 95% of the people you work with are gamers.

Viking Bastard, I think that you actually had a chance with the newbie group. Obviously they're at a stage where they're obsessed with the rules and see their characters in much the same way as one would computer characters. I think that's how I saw the system myself for the first year or so. You might have been able to steer them in the right direction by offering to run a game for them, and then throw a large percentage of roll-playing encounters at them.

Regardless, good luck. I wish you well.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Ashy, I've mailed ya.

Baraendur said:
Viking Bastard, I think that you actually had a chance with the newbie group. Obviously they're at a stage where they're obsessed with the rules and see their characters in much the same way as one would computer characters. I think that's how I saw the system myself for the first year or so. You might have been able to steer them in the right direction by offering to run a game for them, and then throw a large percentage of roll-playing encounters at them.
Yeah, I've thought the same, but a large part of why I left the group (or never joined) had to do with people involved (especially the DM). I just got bad vibes.

Funny stuff! :D Scary stuff! ;)

You probably wouldn't have liked playing in our group either -- you seem to want to question everybody's motive -- your own, your fellow players', the mysterious cloaked stranger with the treasure map's, and so on. Nobody cares about those things anymore -- nobody has the time. I remember with horror when I sat in with a group of one of my distant relatives. We never left the bloody tavern!!! The entire session went with people sending slips of paper to each other and the DM about who to trust and who to pickpocket.

We never got to the adventure proper.

I mean c'mon... if you are using the tavern with the cloaked stranger hook it's because it doesn't matter one way or the other. Just take the darn map and get the heck out of there!

And I totally sympathize with the newbie with the Fighter/Wizard/Rogue. Sometimes a characters quirks and history is assembled piece by piece as you play. We love a good dungeon hack and though the rules can be bended, the tactics - and AoO - are one of the things that make this game fun! Dice rolling, rolling, rolling. Can't get enough of that. :)

It's not that wrestling with your inner demons can't be fun at time - we've just went past the phase in our roleplaying where that was the central part. Now the main attraction is solving the riddles and killing the monsters - not evolving as a character.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
*Shudder*

I tend to find that the rules get in the way of combat a lot.
Sadly, not having 'em hinders game even more goddamnit!

My Golden rule in combat is that if you find an inventive or kewl
enough way to kill the baddie, he's automatically toasted!

Overall, the biggest lesson I've learned is simply that:

"I'm a DM damnit, not a player!"

Last edited:

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Viking Bastard said:

"I'm a DM damnit, not a player!"

Yep, I hear you on that one. I have a hard time trying to sit down and play in someone else's game too. I much prefer running the show, even if doing so is a lot of work.

Remove ads