[Humour, True story] Why I prefer to DM, or three reasons to give up on gaming.

jemkym

First Post
The vampire story was hilarious. But you think they would have gone off vampires by now and gone on to witches (Interview With the Vampire is so old, and now they have Charmed!)

jhanzur

First Post
i've never had a problem with AoOs. in fact, i can't imagine taking some of those nifty feats that later turn into cool chains of feats without there being a reason, i.e. AoOs. it never added two real-time seconds to any round of combat we ever played either. but your point is well taken. if there is ANY rule that takes your group too much time to deal with, drop it. the rules may help clear up some oddities at times, and i think they add to the realism of what is physically happening (can't wait to see if 3.5ver clears up the 3.0ver oddities), but when rp'ing gets lost, why play? i agree with poster, but don't give up! you never know when a cool group may appear out of thin air.

Knuckels the VI

First Post
i know what you mean about having to deal with getting a group together. i have played between 2 groups over the past 6 months and with my brothers for the past year and their friends for about the same amount of time. However, my brothers are off at college with their friends, so it leave's me with my group of friends of mine who i get together with but end up only playing a couple of hours at most each week. also, all of the players except my brothers and I are semi-noobs at the game but at leasat they are learning more. one of my brother's friends probably worst gaming move was to turn into a cheetah to try to get out of a garagntuan's spiders web, his reasoning, cheetah's have a good reflex save.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
jhanzur said:
i've never had a problem with AoOs. in fact, i can't imagine taking some of those nifty feats that later turn into cool chains of feats without there being a reason, i.e. AoOs... [snip]
Well, a lot of the stuff that's incorperated into AoOs is just plain common sense so a lot of what they're supposed to represent comes forward in role play anyway. So I've never had any troubles.

Does nullify some feats though, but... meh, who cares? :)

Trine

First Post
Funny stories. Reminds me of some of my own experiences. Finding new groups to game with can be extremely excruciating.

AoO's are good, IMO. Without them, reach no longer matters as much, nor do things like casting spells or firing bows in melee range. If it all worked out for your group not to use them though, that's cool.

psychognome

First Post
Oh my God. Those kinds of stories ought to drive anyone away from gaming. I'm really sorry for you, man.
Truth be known, I play with a stable bunch of players, but that could change in a few years, with every one of us having different ambitions, like my going to Canada to study etc. In a couple of years I might find myself without a group...
Ah, but fortunately, my local store has a Gaming Bulletin Board...
But again, I'm truly sorry for you. You are the funniest Icelander I've ever quoted in my Sig, and I hope you find a new group soon and that you may yet revive your faith in gaming. :D

Remove ads