• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hybrid Human Palladin/Sorcerer build. Strong or weak build?

Like this build?

• Yes

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Not good, not bad

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Hate it

Votes: 3 37.5%

Herschel

Adventurer
Yeah, the problem isn't the Bard, it's your character. A full defender would be much better. I prefer Swordmage for position swapping and movement working with the Avenger, but in the game I play an Avenger I get a LOT of mileage out of working directly with teh Warden (or teh previous Fighter). Swordmages can also get a lot of the bursts and blasts you seem to want.

pclaw8

First Post
If you go this route, I would consider a staff (no shield) for your implement. The new staff expertise is reach 1 with weapon attacks AND no OA's from ranged and area attacks. To get your sorc hybrid talent earlier, you could take plate proficiency (I'm not sure if the hybrid paladin automatically gets scale armor).

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk Pro

Mapache

Explorer
If a bard wanted to be an excellent healer, he would make sure he meets the requirements for multiclassing into Cleric, Warlord, Shaman, etc. That would give him a fair number of daily heals in addition to majestic word. (and train skills with those feats too)

Or be a tiefling with a Flaming Weapon and Stirring Song of Baator for non-stop temp hit point spam.

mneme

Explorer
Despite voting that I hate it, I don't think I actually hate it (though it's not fantastic in the group you have, particularly since Paladins are great secondary defenders, but not perfect primary defenders.

Aside from the obvious:

The stat synergy is great, but I don't know why you're picking off-stat powers. You should be able to do what you want while sticking to Cha primary, Str secondary powers (or no secondary) powers.
Paladin plus at-will close blast is strong.
I'd go for plate prof over Dragon Soul, I think--as off the bat it gives you +5 AC--and even if you made other choices (dragonborn, 13 con for hide armor) the max AC you could get from hybrid sorc + hide without gimping Cha is 17--for two feats instead of one (three, including the one you lose for not being human). OTOH, if you stick with cloth (with Unarmed Agility, natch) you can wear armor that lets you use Blazing Starfall on a marked enemy at a distance while hanging out next to a completely different enemy and getting in his face (without drawing an OA), so there's that.
A Paladin/sorc really needs to decide whether you're a heavily armored area striker or a defender with an at will close blast. IMO, you're much better off with the latter, particularly with your group, so you want to pick your powers and feats to be better able to defend yourself and others--and reserve the sorcerer powers for the points where the best way to defend your group is to take enemies (mostly minions) off the board. As such, I'd go for Ardent Strike and Burning Spray for sure, as those cover "lock an extra enemy down" and "blast some enemies" nicely. As a human, Blazing Starfall is fine to cover your bases (particularly since paladins and radiant go together).
Mighty Challenge isn't on your list. It should be; your Challenge is rather wimpy.

Kerranin

First Post
I thought "Paragon Defences" and Lightning reflex e.t.c. (and their essentials replacements) were feat bonus and so dont stack
You're right in saying that feat bonuses do not stack.

Shield Mastery is not a feat bonus and therefore does stack with Great Fortitude. :)
Shield Mastery
While wielding a shield with which you have proficiency, your shield bonus also applies to your Fortitude.
Shield Specialization's bonus to reflex is a feat bonus however, and therefore does not stack with Lightning Reflexes. The +1 AC bonus would continue to apply however.

He is listing retraining of Paragon Defenses to Iron Will at lv18, so that doesn't cause a problem. :)

Finally, if your group allows essentials feats, since you meet the requirements, I would take the following two replacement feats:
- Great Fortitude => Superior Fortitude (same defense bonus, gives 3/6/9 damage resistance vs ongoing damage)
- Iron Will => Superior Will (same defense bonus, gives saves vs Dazed/Stunned at start of turn. SUPERB!)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads