• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hyenas

Geocorona

First Post
Despite what the PHB says, hyenas are not like wolves. They are stronger-jawed and slower, and don't come in such a wide range of sizes. They're also found in warmer climates.

Comments?

Hyena
Medium-Size Animal
Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hp)
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 40 ft.
AC: 14 (+1 Dex, +3 natural)
Attacks: Bite +4 melee
Damage: Bite 1d6+3
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: None
Special Qualities: Scent, Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +3, Listen +6, Move Silently +4, Spot +4, Wilderness Lore +1*
Feats: Dodge
Climate/Terrain: Warm hills, plains, and deserts
Organization: Pair or pack (3-18)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 3-4 HD (Medium-size)

Though sometimes satisfied with carrion, these loping & cackling nocturnal scavengers will often hunt for food, or bully swifter predators away from their kills.

Skills: *Hyenas receive a +2 racial bonus to Wilderness Lore checks when tracking by scent.

COMBAT
Hyenas have very strong jaws, and have been known to chew through iron skillets stolen from camp sites. Hyenas are very good at assessing risk vs. reward, and will only attack when they have a clear advantage. They prefer intimidation and flanking, and pay close attention to their opponents.

Dodge: Hyenas gain +1 to AC on attacks from a single selected opponent.

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
Nice, although I prefer the stats you can download from WotC's site. (Chainmail D&D stats, first set.)

But yours are nice. :D

Frog Slime

First Post
Actually, the "laughing" Hyena, more formally known as the Spotted Hyena, hunts first, and then eats carrion later. They also chase larger carnivores, such as lions, away from kills.

Why villainize them? They serve a necessary function in the natural world by cleaning it up and for that they get lumped as evil, ghoulish creatures.

The other two species of Hyena I can think of at the moment are the Brown and the Aardwolf, which is only about the size of a fox and eats insects.

Krishnath

First Post
I don't consider the hyena an 'evil' creature. On the other hand I usually play Gnolls as chaotic neutral creatures, rather than chaotic evil. Fit's more with their nature/'survival of the fittest' culture. In my campaign world, they're simply a missunderstood 'barbaric' race. No more evil than the common barbarian.

Geocorona

First Post
I'm just playing off the 1e concept linking gnolls and hyenas. But I suppose I should bring them back into a real world description.

Edit: I just changed "usually satisfied with carrion" so it wouldn't seem their preference, removed the evil reference, and added low-light vision since they're nocturnal.

Last edited:

Remove ads